Monday, July 12, 2010

Historicon 2010 Part Four: The Spoils of War

Of course, for some, it's not about the game, it's about how much cool stuff one can obtain at the Dealer's Hall. Now someone had pointed out that the new setup and at least doubling of a vendor space, the number of vendors dropped from 90+ down to around 65. Except for one dealer (Thoroughbred), I couldn't remember the names of any of the missing ones.

I had my stowed away savings and spread a small bit to the companies I'm loyal to (Teddy Bears at Eureka, Terrain at the War Store, Pastimes). I held back at ATKM just because I have a large number of unpainted unbased 54mm AWI figures, and I've got to get some of them done before I can buy anymore Cav or Indians.

Brigade Games got the bulk of my money, as I picked up the new gnomelings and sushi cannon, more Swiss and German units, and two campaign books: A nice book on the Zulu Wars, and another the Eastern African theatre during World War I (Tanga). The gnomes will have a variety of battles to choose from, and I might actually finish my "superplan" if I can only get the right items cheap and in bulk.

The flea market was neat and organized compared to years past, but few items caught my eye, and nostalgia bought my only item, a cheap copy of the Rifts RPG.

I stopped by the Painting University and spent 20 minutes painting a (Russian?) sailor to pass the time before the flea market opened. I can at least attempt to paint a true 25mm figure with just one brush. The right sized one, and I might be dangerous:



I did also attend the HMGS Board of Directors meeting. With 1,300 members, only 300 or so voted in this year's election. Out of that roughly 25 members wandered into the 8am meeting. I have tenative confidence in the new board. They spoke of openess and communication, they tried to answer questions as best they could, and they admitted that they wouldn't rule out the Baltimore Convention Center if membership grew 600%, but not until then.

My current con goal is twofold: first, try to get a Burning Plastic game run at Fall-in! and second try to figure out a gnome scenario for the Cold Wars '11 theme: South American Revolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment