Friday, May 11, 2012

Princess Maja's Birthday

Today is the birthday of my eldest, Maja. As they say, three years ago, everything changed in ways I can still barely fathom.

Maja is also my experiment into gaming parenting, much to my wife's chagrin.  She loves the gnomes, she loves dice, she demands stories from Mouse Guard, she loves to paint figures, and in twenty years, might make some poor nerd out there feel like the luckiest guy on the Earth (and he would be right).   Then again, we don't discourage anything she does, from playing house, to spontaneous dancing, to playing any type of sports (I'm still hoping on that UConn scholarship, she's abnormally tall and surprisingly coordinated.  Gotta work on that skyhook after her party.)

My youngest, Amelia, is still too little, so she is interested in everything, yet nothing at the same time.  I hope she becomes my wife's little shopping buddy she talks about, but I believe Maja is all mine, at least until she nears puberty.  Until then, I get some active brain exercise by telling her spontaneous stories every night before bed. I may  introduce her to a new princess tonight after her cake tonight.  A little Choose-your-own-adventure stylings with the Palace of the Silver Princess might work. Or I'll continue May's project of memorizing "In the Merry Old Land of Oz" for nighttime singing.   Oh, in a couple of years, we can get all the Oz books, and between them, Mouse Guard, my David the Gnome stories, and whatever interests of her develop until them, I think we're going to have some fun along the way.


Maja, with her much-loved Mepacon dragon shirt, which pre-dates her!
Happy Birthday, my OG (original gnome).  Once your Daddy can find his brain, we'll finish up the Princess Gnome and the Undead Wolves and we'll play The Princess Who Cried Wolf with Daddy's terrain.  Daddy loves you, even if you already kick my butt in games.

1 comment:

  1. To the world, you're somebody. But to somebody, you're the world. Happy birthday to your little one!

    ReplyDelete