Tuesday, September 11, 2012

(Cthulhu) Everything is falling into place... Mwaha... Haha

Our next Call of Cthulhu game is slotted for September 29th and we're kicking things up a notch.

We have SEVEN players slated to show up. I was as giddy as a schoolgirl with five for session #13, so seven might push my GM skills.
Second, we have two brand new players who were kind enough to accept our invite. One is Jugular Josh (check out his "Where There Had Been Darkness" blog.) The second is a man I will refer to as "Doctor Bob," a history professor at one of the universities in the New York metropolitan area. Both are experienced players, and Bob can be considered the beacon that initially drew me to CoC. The fact that Bob, as one website put it, "knows his shit,"means I need to have my shit together as well.

CoC in the 20's is normally an anachronism of the modern age and apologists diluting what really happened during the era. Racism, sexism, and various ethnic/cultural intolerance pervades most nooks and crannies of the era, To avoid it simply because it's an uncomfortable subject is ludicrous.

I also would like to avoid modern day assumptions leaking into the game. No voice mail or answering machines means important phone calls that you actually connect or answer have a certain gravitas. Letters take weeks, research is not a mouse click away. People forget how slow communication was (and can still be). I'd like avoid the investigators perseverating on one contact from Mexico City getting back to them and dropping all research until that time.

Knowing Dr Bob could make or break the realism of the campaign, I broke my "surprise!" rule for new players and consulted him on.. well... himself in CoC form.

If it went any better, we would be chucking dice right now. Outside of a few niggling details, not only was the background I constructed structurally sound, but it was opened ended enough to allow him to explore the character in future session.

This aint my first rodeo. Sometimes I am as good as advertised.

I guess my only worry now is that Bob sounded genuinely excited, which just reinforces my need to bring my A-game to the table. Of course, I'll get all my Keeper prep work and within five minutes they'll be buying train tickets to the Berkshires looking for haunted doorknobs.

I also a had fifteen minute conversation this week with Mike Lung over all things miniature, but most especially, a super secret stockpile of LOS minis. The gaming monster should be ready to rear its head.

4 comments:

  1. You'll do fine sir. The players will enjoy themselves as long as they are not subjected to rooms full of TNT. I'm just hoping the wife and I can get the house in order prior to everyone showing up.

    Also if things go south.....blame Jugular Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will blame Josh, it's the easy way out.

    I conferred with Bob again today over some historical inaccuracies in the scenario. Great setup, lots of investigation and action sequences, but if Bob got this as a thesis, he would burn it for the errors and typos.

    And Phil, I have something possibly WORSE than TNT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worse than TNT??? I didn't see my mother in law on the invite! (bazinga!)

    A game doesn't need to be 100% historically accurate to be fun. Let's just have fun and not worry about the fictitious history we're playing in.

    And, as always, blame Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were a couple that were like seeing a Deloreon in the 1950s.

    If and when the item appears, I anticipate people leaving the table.

    ReplyDelete