Monday, November 26, 2012

SATLOF 2012

Saturday was our SATLOF (Saturday After Thanksgiving Left Over Feast). Everyone brings something, our buddy (and host) Nate cooks a giant turkey, and copious amounts of alcohol. We even have a trash can punch where all alcohol must be bottom shelf and in plastic containers.

SATLOF is most importantly a time for friends to reconnect. It's important to note that gaming is the common factor among those I associate with at this shin-dig, from high school (Scott and Wooly),  through the comic book shop days (Phil), to the main college contingent, and even the present, with Scott's girlfriend Bridget, who experienced my GM madness at the Labor Day picnic.

With that common ground, gaming ultimately takes center stage. We've played Talisman, Apples to Apples, Risk, Zombies!, Red Neck Life, and others over the years. My personal favorite has always been Drunken Diplomacy, but alas, it never got out of the van.

This years entry into the SATLOF Hall of Fame was Cards Against Humanity.

I need to pause a second, because just thinking about this game makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

And that's not essentially a bad thing.

Take the initial concept of Apples to Apples, add the multiple versions of fill in the blank,  and add plenty of fecal,urine,and sexual jokes, and you have the basic idea of the game.

The tamest winning card selection was for "Alright, I admit, I killed _____, you wanna know how?  By _____."

 "Alright, I admit, I killed the American Dream, you wanna know how?  By Hulk Hogan."

With other cards like Homoerotic Volleyball Team Photo, Panda Sex, and Pretending to Care, you can see how the things can degenerate.

If the green card in Apples to Apples was "Cheerful", and you toss in "The Holocaust,"  this game is for you.

I so can't wait to see what sort of search results bring people to this blog after the last two sentences.

Anyhoo, even with the kiddos running amok, I did get to spend Hsome time with my friends Hoyce and Adam, catching them up to the Call of Cthulhu campaign, becoming flabbergasted that Hoyce is running a superhero game up in Boston, and discovering that the two of them are working towards moving back down into Pennsylvania.   Professor Bowsfield and Smitty may make appearances in the game, and not as NPCs!

No comments:

Post a Comment