Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dystopian Legions Tanks and Gnome Wars

One line that has given me trouble in my Apathy of New Releases column I write monthly has been Dystopian Wars from Spartan Games. I love the Victorian Sci-Fi element and the massive scale of the battles that can be fought on the dining room table. I just have the same trepidation most small and some medium-sized stores have with stocking a new minis game, "Is this game going to tank in my area, making me lose x amount that I've already invested in it?". I'd sooner invest in this one, than, say, Heavy Gear, but the minis aren't cheap, even if you want a bare inventory

The good news for Spartan is that not every game store is as cautious as I would be, the game is a lesser hit, and has allowed them to expand into Dystopian Legions, a 28mm skirmish version. I finally got to see some pictures on one of the wargaming groups I follow on Facebook, and I daresay I like them. Not enough to buy some infantry, but the tanks struck the right chord.

Of the four nationalities with pics only the British and Prussians have tanks. The Japanese have some steam powered hoverbike and the Americans have a steam bike with a giant tank tread, but both would be cumbersome modifications to bring them into Gnome Wars. The tanks look perfect. Just steam punk-y enough to fit it.




Upon further inspection, I discovered that they should further emphasize the word tankette on the packaging. Each vehicle is meant to be operated by a single man and stand smaller than a single figure! They're more Russian tractor tank than a Mark V.    At a price of $35.00 for two per box, they still seem like a tempting purchase to putt around the battlefield, even if the gnome inside would have to take off their hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment