Monday, April 27, 2015

(Kickstarter) Ral Partha Chaos Wars

There was a time in the distant past where I, as a grubby D&D playing teenager, dreamed of moving vast armies across my mother's dining room, and these visions did NOT include Citadel/Games Workshop models.  Everything originated from the Ral Partha catalog, both fantasy AND historical.

It looks like Iron Wind Metals are looking to re-ignite that nostalgic passion with their Ral Partha's Chaos Wars Kickstarter. 



These are the figures I looked at lovingly in the blisters at the store as a young man.  As much as some things change, one thing hasn't changed:  I can't justify their cost. 

Twenty buck (plus $6 S&H) for four elven archers with early 90's style sculpting?  Probably the cheapskate in me saying no, but I could be right about being wary of that. 

Starting at the $75 level (24 elves or 24 orcs) you start to see some value.  $140 nets you 48 figures.   For me it's a bad time to try to reignite some faraway nostalgia. 

Another thing that made me smile (and wince) were the inclusion of all the old war machine, siege model, and a number of big beasties as add-ons to the Kickstarter.  The $20 to $35 range for most of them don't make me flinch as much as the smaller figs, although I really wish I remembered how much the jabberwockey figure ($11) originally was, pre or post rallidium.

No comments:

Post a Comment