Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Game Chateau

Sometimes I am thankful for social media.  Despite all the Trumpisms and mindless digital shouting, it does reveal fun facts, like there's a boardgame café in Wilkes-Barre!

The Game Chateau recently opened in Plaza 315 (the shopping center where Leggio's is, or Marc's Tattooing for those inclined). 

I got a chance to run up there last night after work, and despite some signage issues, it's a really nice place.  A brother and sister duo run the shop, where you can enjoy a coffee or pastry (oooh... Sanitary Bakery) and play some board games in a clean, friendly environment. 


While I do know that gaming cafes are all the rage in major metropolitan areas, and I know game rentals have had success in small town shops, but I have a few questions on the economics of pay to play gaming in the greater Wilkes-Barre area.   Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to figure out when I can get the girls (or whole family) to go up, enjoy lunch through an arrangement with The Café an American Bistro next door, and play a few games. 

One option I would like to see is a "Play it here?  Buy it here!" option.  I'm not talking all-out game store, complete with smelly Magic/GW/D&D players, perhaps just a promotional "Play game X this month, save $5 on a copy to take home." 

As I've said with a few new stores I've ventured into, let's give them a little bit of time to figure out what they want to do and what works before giving them an all-out critique.

GPS Address:  1112 Highway 315, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702

No comments:

Post a Comment