Saturday, July 9, 2016

Model Soldiers Club (1939)

There are times that I wish for a more formal and certainly more civilized times within my hobby.

The British Society of the Collectors of Model Soldiers, might be a bit much, but with the right amount of air conditioning, I'm game.



Given the film is shot in 1939, and actual quotes from the narrator, I simply refer to the words written before what was then the first and only Great World War:

You have only to play at Little Wars three or four times to realize just what a blundering thing Great War must be. Great War is at present, I am convinced, not only the most expensive game in the universe, but it is a game out of all proportion. Not only are the masses of men and material and suffering and inconvenience too monstrously big for reason, but-the available heads we have for it, are too small. That, I think, is the most pacific realization conceivable, and Little War brings you to it as nothing else but Great War can do.   
-- H. G. Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment