Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Final Memories of an Era

A few weeks ago, some of the evidence of my footloose and fancy-free 20's was erased from time.

In my teens in Dreamscape Comics in Easton was my weekly hang-out for comics and gaming.  Halfway through my "career" as a game store manager, I got the privilege of not only working there, but officially managing their Bethlehem location.

After my departure in 1997, the Easton shopped closed up, and the Bethlehem location a few doors down to the corner of Second Avenue and W. Broad St.   I had disagreements with the owner, Nick, as well as problems with special orders, but I always tried to swing in while I was in the Lehigh Valley.

With Nick's death, the very, very slow process of liquidating and closing began, and wouldn't be complete until the doors were shut for good in 2014.

Recently, Steel City Comics opened up in the same location, and with some of the old inventory from Dreamscape.   It was sparser, certainly cleaner and brighter, but the old Dreamscape sign still hung over the front of the store:
Like all good things, this too came to an end earlier this year, as the Steel City owners found an old Dreamscape customer willing to purchase it and give it a spot of honor it deserves.
 And now we wait to see what sort of mark Steel City will put in its place....

No comments:

Post a Comment