Friday, May 25, 2018

Future Dispatches from Long Ago

I'm so done with global warming.  We've received triple the normal amount of rain for May, so between the sump pump working overtime and the grass taller than hobbit every week, I'm ready for the drought they were dreading in April.

While I waited out the most recent thunderstorm, I finally completed my biggest writing bugbear, episode #69 of the Ballad of the Pigeon God.  I know #59 just hit this week but *spoilers* I'm working on coordinating the big finale into coherent batches, all while keeping track of a few dozen people/entities/groups.  As I was gearing up to finish the entries in the journal, I had predicted 60 weeks of posts, but even now, episode #69 was split yet again.  I would not be surprised if the last post of this run reaches #75.

Seventy-five reaches the end of Summer, so the question can be raised, "ViscountEric, what will you fill Tuesday mornings in?"

My Summer at work appears to be much busier in years past, so I don't know how much writing I can slide in during lazy afternoon.  My pending concept is tentatively titled Lost Dispatches from a Distant Age.  The goal is to compile, in my normally dry, redundant prose, what exactly happened in my high school D&D campaign (still in the World of Georic).  After 28 years or so, I'm going to keep things vague, using an extremely young educated traveler documenting the deeds the of the heroes. or the aftermath of their actions.   This will allow me to place certain towns and adventures on the "new" (only 18 years old) map of Georic.

With Dispatches, I'll be able to expand into the other campaigns between high school and the Pigeon God.  Heck, perhaps I'll figure out better titles than "Army Campaign", the "Dreamscape  Learn D&D Campaign",  "The Evil Doers Campaign, and even the two session D&D game I ran in Basic Training, Fort Jackson, 1992.

The Dispatches project should create a huge buffer for me to develop Adventures in Gulluvia into a full storyline (separate from the Georic stories).  I've got eight episodes of the campaign somewhere between outlined and completely finished.  Fortunately, we've been pretty consistent playing our Monday night 5e game, so there's been no reason to dust off the back-up.  We'll need to play some face-to-face over the Summer to get things going.  Gulluvia has a story, and an end, so I can anticipate thirty or so sessions to fulfill that.

Finally, my long-running holy grail, getting the Burning Trogs together again, hasn't picked up any steam, but I have found a min-treasure trove of date.  The one campaign I didn't plan on covering at all was the short Hackmaster campaign that I ran immediately after I got married.  In my eleven year old memories, I ran three Basic D&D modules, my buddy Darryl from high school ran a deranged drow named Strom Thurmond, and it ended with a TPK... and a transition over to the Call of Cthulhu campaign currently on indefinite hiatus.

As I meandered through my old Hotmail account, I looked in my Sent Messages.  Everything prior to 2006 had been deleted, but there were some interesting emails about my wedding, the bachelor party, and lo' and behold, multiple recaps of sessions I no longer recalled.  It looks as if our heroes had multiple adventures (at least 5), had included other players, and had a boatload of interactions with some of the original Burning Trogs still residing in Verge. 

Not only am I going to decipher these notes and turn them into Actual Plays, but I will state that these adventures, conducted five-years game-time after the conclusion of the Burning Trogs Rule, are the first episodes to cover Trogs Redux, the relaunch of the Burning Trogs.

But for now, I have 300 drafts and over 70 scheduled posts.  I need to start playing and writing.

And for those interested, I make no goals for games this weekend.  I plan on checking on my drying basement, cutting some grass, grilling some food, and listening to the back catalog of the first 60-70 episodes of Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff that magically became available on my feed.

And fan mail to answer.  I'm just as shocked as you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment