Friday, May 18, 2018

Gymnastics, Wardlings, and a Random Alien

Last weekend was an end of an era for the family, the last gymnastics meet for the girls.  Maja and Millie's gym was closing up, so the USA Gymnastics Trampoline and Tumbling Region 6 (Northeast) Championships would be the last hurrah.

So after a drive to the furthest point east in West Virginia, a horrible truck stop dinner, and my wife confirming once again that she should never be put in charge of directions, we arrived at Shepherd University.

Regionals was a total bust for the girls last year.  With all the girls from Maine to Virginia coming, they essentially earned participation ribbons.

This year, they still had their problems, but Millie earned 4th, 7th, and 9th in her events. Maja garnered 4th, 6th, and a Silver medal in tumbling.  That Silver qualifies her for Nationals, but with no coach, big entry fees and the 8-hour drive to North Carolina on the week of July 4th, I think we'll savor our success in West Virginia.

With no gymnastics, life hasn't slowed down.   I've had to travel for training, a deluge of rain, power outages, and even a pseudo tornado have ensured that we haven't slowed down one step.

No games, save my online 5e game, although the Pulp game is all set for this weekend, if my mother and her health woes don't keep me away from the house.  Things are okay, but I'm ready for the decline to start.

In happy news, I've gotten a few things straightened out, slapped some primer and paint on minis.  Nothings finished, although I tinkered with these items.

First off, is the Female Wizard and Genie pair from the Wardlings line from WizKids.

Each pack of the pre-painted Wardlings comes with a stylized child adventurer and an animal companion (or Genie).   Two drawbacks, perhaps.  One is the $8/pack pricetag.  Second is the scale.  This young female wizard towers over any of my 28mm Pulp figures, much less my older 25mm fantasy.

The pack comes with two black WizKids bases for mounting.  I figured with a genie, a rocky desert base would suit them better.

I also rummaged through a few junk bins and found this little fellow to base and find a use in a game.
He's some sort of alien from a Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Playset the kids got years ago.  The playset was more a nostalgia kick for my wife and myself, but  this little fella was interesting enough to salvage during one of the playroom purges.

Next:  After months, my East African German Schutztruppe are finally in highlighting and details.  The Arab Civilians are right behind, but I also found the Legion of Steel Space Dwarves in my Spring Cleaning and they've been cleaned and primed.

No comments:

Post a Comment