Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Lost Dispatches of Feraso #1 - A Letter of Introduction

13th of the Month of SepDec in the Imperial Year of 1020, the Reign of Krugraf Mykul I of Ras-Prythax

To His Lordship, the Viscount Wilfrick of Verbobonc,

My name is Elsderth Millbottom, originally of Feldkurton.  I am the third son and fifth child of second Miller of Feldkurton, Thomas Millbottom.

With my elder brothers interest in the fortunes and future of the family business, my father considered my existence extemporaneous.    At an early age he searched out reasons to take advantage of my existence.

My father owed taxes to the Baron, and in return for forgiveness of those, as was the custom, he sent me off to Verbobonc to work off the debt in indentured servitude. My ability with numbers and my literacy superior to all the rest of my family combined, I was copying letters and common documents in the Baron's dungeons at the age of fifteen.  Instead of becoming a carpenter or a smith, I received an indentured apprenticeship as a scribe.  The Baron provided everything, although all of it was meager.

For the better part of my obligation, I remained in the imprisoned with the collective of ink stained pages performing the same menial administrative tasks.  After eight years I left those dank confines to the Office of your Seneschal, Torben Mikkelsen.

I discovered  -  I had the opportunity not only to read the letters being received from your subjects across the realm, but also the responses, the back and forth flow of written conversation. Having never been given a chance to even write my family in the first eight years, this became my duty, but also my joy.

I hope I'm not overextending the grace Your Lordship has provided me with my written ramblings here, but in the very few direct encounters with me, I hope I exemplified the professionalism and devotion you required of my minor position.

A few months ago, the requirements established by my father were completed, and I granted my freedom.  With no jobs available within the castle and short period to find employment in Verbobonc City.  Even one largely protected from the back alleys of Verbobonc, even I could recognize the few opportunities were undercutting the wages for my skills.  I dread turning to a life of crime like some scalawag or highway robber to keep alive.

But upon my final day in the castle, My Lordship provided an opportunity to go on the highways through a different method.  With my meager belongings, plus some of my used writing equipment, I prepared to depart, but Torben stopped me with a great surprise.

He presented me with sizable bag of gold, representing the gratitude of the Viscount for my service.  It represented half of the money I would have earned in the position as a scribe.

With the funds, I've been able to better outfit myself for travel, including purchasing a simple riding horse with good gait and strong legs.  I call her Marigold.

During one of the few conversations Your Lordship has graced me with during my tenure, you expressed displeasure with  the trickle of true news funneling through your court.  With my new-found freedom, it seemed foolish not to relay an unfiltered view of the edges of your domain.  Be it marauders, taxes, trade rumors, or even the price of grain, I would be honored to provide you with whatever information I come across.

I humbly implore you to at least humor the prospect of my pledge of service to your noble rank.  If such an arrangement appears beneficial to Your Lordship, Torben is aware as to how to contact me with any additional information.

Your Servant,

Elsderth Millbottom of Feldkurton.

=======================================
13 SepDec 1020 -

To the Esteemed Gentleman, Torben Mikkelsen, Seneschal  of Verbobonc,

I have enclosed the letter to the Viscount detailing the arrangement you and I previously discussed just prior to my departure.  If you deem it appropriate, I would appreciate an opportunity for him to review and make a decision on the prospect.

Unless I notify you of any change, any correspondence declining or stopping the endeavor should be sent by courier to the village of Feldkurton.  The courier need only travel to the ruins of the Millsbottom, my family's previous business, and place a lone copper piece in the gap beneath the last remaining piece of the millstone.  Upon receipt, I shall continue to chronicle my journey, but terminate any and all correspondence to be delivered to the Viscount.

Your Servant

-Elsderth

Next: #2  Meet Elsderth Millbottom

No comments:

Post a Comment