Monday, November 12, 2018

Another Part of My Middle-Age Gone in Lancaster

As one gets older, most can see the outward signs of time rambling past them.  Beloved entertainers and sports stars of their youth pass away and important landmarks of nostalgia either are razed or become completely unrecognizable.

I didn't expect parts of my adulthood to go under the knife so quickly.

While I know the Continental Inn wasn't the best, or the cheapest, hotel on the Lincoln Highway, it had that stable old-fashioned hotel "resort" feel, the sheets were clean, the breakfast tasty, and prior to the traffic light installation, a Frogger game away from the Lancaster Host, home to many an HMGS convention. 

Recently, it's been the go-to location for my family on their near-cations, and where my daughter and I stayed for Daddy-Daughter time at Fall-In!  It was an old glove:  worn out in a few spots, and not as trendy as this year's line, but it was warm and inviting everytime we stayed there.

It's no surprise that I had some trepidation when it was announced that Dutch Wonderland purchased the Continental and immediately closed it, cancelling all reservations for Cold Wars, laying off all the employees. and starting a massive renovation with no timetable. 

Recently, the future of the resort has been answered:  a full themed-hotel conversion to the first Cartoon Network resort.
With both girls in the midst of grade school, I've already had quite enough with the themed-anything bs.  I also see this as a dying breath of a network that's lost half its viewership in the last ten years.  I'm assuming they're now catering to the parents who once watched Cartoon Network, have small children, and are willing to plunk down discounted dollars to visit Dutch Wonderland?

All I know is, another little piece of my life has transformed into a monstrosity, and no sir, I do not like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment