Saturday, December 14, 2013

(12 Days) #1 Eric Jacobson, Two Years Later

Two years ago, I posted my Imaginary Stats during the twelve days.  I've relegated my dream character to being a slightly more charismatic version of Tom Arnold in True Lies.  I do not hide that fact from anyone.


Over the last two years, I've reacquainted myself with elusive concept know as sleep, so I've had some "normal" dream sequences.  I've also discovered that a smart phone is a godsend for things like that.  Usually I wake up out of a dream, and instead of dragging out a dream journal, or hitting the computer for a detailed word doc, I simply grab the notepad on my phone and type, "Brawling 2 pts, Sex Appeal 1/2 pt, Area Knowledge Iceland 1 pt."  Not all dreams are worthy of mention, ergo, no points.


ST: 10 DX: 11 IQ: 13 HT: 12
No changes to stats. Unless I develop consistent super-powers in dreams, it's much too difficult to improve them point-wise.  More likely, they'll start dropping as I feel older in REM sleep.

Advantages: Charisma +2 (I am a helluva guy), Common Sense (I'm constantly warning people in dreams not to do stupid things), Luck (if I survived the Red Dawn game, I have it in spades), Voice, Light Hangover.

Disadvantages: Bloodlust, Nearsighted (corrected), Gluttony, Stubbornness,
Sense of Duty (Friends).  Enemy: The Mormons
Yep, the Mormons are now a rarely appearing enemy.  More on than under skills.

Skills: for skill checks, one rolls 3d6 and roll your skill level or less. These are the skills I've put points into, which means most simple actions are automatic. If I wanted to do something that's not on the list, like speak French or pick a lock, my default skill level is usually IQ or DX -5... or worse. A skill level of 10 is average, 12 rather skilled, 14 well-trained, 16+ expert.

For breaking down the years, I'll try to the following.  I'll list the skills I had points in first.  Bolded means points were added to the skill and "+2" will denote an actual point increase of the skill .

Administration 13 
Archaeology 10
Area Knowledge: Lehigh Valley 13     +1
Area Knowledge: South Africa 13
Area Knowledge: Iceland 13 
Bard 18 (let me...entertain you!)
Boxing 10
Brawling 13
Camouflage 14           +1
Carousing 12
Conspiracy Theory 11
Dancing 10
Diplomacy 13
Driving: Auto 14
Driving: Diesel Locomotive 11
Economics 10
Engineering 12
English 14
Geology 10
Guns: Pistol 14
Guns: Rifle 14    
Guns: SMG 13
Hiking 10
History 15              +2
Hobby: Models 12
Intell Analysis 11
Law 11               +1
Occultism 14     +1
Punning 11
Running 13       +1
Savoir Faire 16
Saxophone 12
Scrounging 13
Sex Appeal 14
Sport: Basketball 10       +1
Sport: Golf 10
Stealth 11
Survival: Mountains 12
Survival: NBC 13
Swimming 10
Tactics 12                        +1
Wrestling 10

New Skills from Year One: 15.5 new skills points!
Acting           12
Area Knowledge: Michigan Upper Peninsula  11
Area Knowledge: New York City  11
Boating       9
Drive Tractor Trailer  11
Fast Talk      12  (somehow, I never put points in the one skill every does for their own characters.  Guess I'm more of a Savoir Faire kinda guy)
Forensics  10

Year One Narrative:  I don't write down the dreams, but extrapolating the skills increases, I had some wild assignment involving a tractor trailer in Michigan, as well as some zany adventure in NYC.

New Skills from Year Two: 14.5 skill points!
Sport:Volleyball   9
Anthropology      10
Navigate             10
Hobby gaming.    11
Forgery               10
Drive: motorcycle  9
Interrogation        11

Year Two Narrative:  Analyzing the stats, it looks like I spent some time relaxing in the Lehigh Valley (as much as I've done in Iceland) playing in YMCA League B-Ball and Volleyball leagues.  The climax of the year was studying history of and infiltrating a secret society of Mormons, but getting discovered and fleeing for my life.    I kid you not, the Mormon thing was an actual and strangely vivid dream.  If the secret society ever comes back, I'll set up stats for the disadvantage, but in 3rd Edition GURPS, Enemy disadvatages earned during the "campaign" net you no additional points. 

I do like how, dispite the randomness of the dreams, this character is evolving naturally.  This is not a combat or social skill monster like you see in point based systems.  Skills are acquired through actions, not dumping points in your weapon of choice.  This character evolves more like a Basic Role-Playing (Call of Cthulhu) one than GURPS, where I wouldn't throw a half-point in Anthropology or Area Knowledge: Upper Peninsula Michigan unless I knew I'd be using the skill again.

No comments:

Post a Comment