Monday, March 12, 2012

(Cold Wars) The Epic Quest for a Princess Gnome

I have survived Cold Wars, and came home to a series of stomach bugs going through small children at breakneck pace. One of them is still home from daycare recovering from the tail end of it, but I at least have time to post something.

Also, in regards to the to-the-point Friday post, just chalk it up to iPhone/Blogger incompatibility.

As I geared up the week before Cold Wars, I kept reminding my soon-to-be-three-year old daughter Maja that Daddy wouldn't be home for two nights and she was to be a good girl for Mommy. She asked a ton a questions, as little ones should, about where I was going, what I was doing, why I was going, etc.

On Friday, when I dropped the kids off at day care before heading out to Lancaster, I asked Maja what she wanted Daddy to bring back from his trip to play gnomes. I've brought back special dice and pink tape measures for her before, this should be a piece of cake.

"A Princess Gnome"
"A Mommy,Daddy, and Baby Gnomes"
"A Princess Gnome"
"A Dorothy, Tinman, and Wizard of Oz Gnomes"
"A Princess Gnome"


I think I picked up on the subtle emphasis of what she wanted...

With a full slate of Gnome Wars games, I had limited time to go to the vendor hall and try to figure out how to budget $200 off of a $2000 want list, much less systematically hunt down a Princess Gnome. There are few female figures in Gnome Wars, and none who could qualify as royalty. I remember a few fat lady opera-style female dwarves in a Warhammer boxed set years ago, but I dreaded the price they would be at the flea market for a multi-figure piece that was $25-$35 years ago and worth more now. Worse yet, since it's historical miniatures, there would be a limited supply of Reaper fantasy minis, and even fewer female figs.

I found nothing.

On the late-night drive back to Wilkes-Barre, I was exhausted and bummed that I couldn't fulfill a simple request from my daughter.

After a decent night's sleep, and my daughter waking up to another bout of the bug, I showed her the little bag of new Gnome Wars figs that I had picked up.

She picked up the first figure and squealed with glee, "Daddy, my princess, you got it, I love it!"

She was holding the new American medic for the North, a Florence Nightingale-style nurse, which if you miss the spoonful of medicine she's doling out, is a perfect representation of a princess, sans crown. I had snagged up the figures from Brigade's booth in such a rush, I had failed to check them all out.

Daddy is still beyond awesome in his little girl's eyes, and that was before I brought out the other other spoils of Cold Wars, but that's for the official AARs.



The Princess emerging from her balcony


Perhaps finding a magic wand in my bits to replace the spoon, and a requested painted scheme of pink and purple from her highness

4 comments:

  1. I think I could do a Princess for ya. Just need to get me the figure and it won't take long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Eric finding your daughter's treasured gnome. A princess gnome would be very good in my books for the Gnome Wars. Did you get to have some fun with the gnome games? Are reports forthcoming?

    On another note, I've just finished the Aussie list which I'll submit to the Gnomes Yahoo Group later this week for comment when folks catch their breath from Cold Wars.

    Just finishing off the vampire and witch which hopefully will be on the blog later this week. Just need a Witch-finder General and Van Helsing to top of the gnome games. Can't have witches and vampires roaming the gaming board without their nemesis in hot pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo...that giving me a great idea. Wonder if I make a Buffy Cheerleader from Daisy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be good Brian, a Buffy Cheerleader kicking ass on the badies. The Northern American Gnome Doctor would make a great watcher as he is. All the tricks in his leather bag. Looks like Donald Sutherland too.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete