Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Mayfair Games Shuts Its Doors

I've said, ad naseum, just how crappy things have been lately. 

Now Mayfair Games folds up?  Yeesh, enough already!

From their Facebook post earlier this week:

As of today, the management team at Mayfair Games, Inc. announces we will wind down game publishing. After 36 years, this was not an easy decision or one we took lightly, but it was necessary. Once we had come to this conclusion, we knew we had to find a good home for our games which is when we reached out to Asmodee.

We are pleased to announce that we have sold our games to Asmodee North America, who have acquired all the assets of Mayfair Games, Inc. This acquisition includes the product line for both Mayfair Games, Inc and Lookout Games, GmbH.

We would like to take a moment to say - Thank You!
Thank you to the many retailers, reviewers, customers, industry partners, and volunteers, who made us a success over the past 36 years! You helped bring our games to game stores and cafes, conventions, libraries, schools, kitchen tables, backyard patios, family vacations, and more... where thousands of fans have been introduced to this great world of board gaming. Thank you!!



Catan has been out of their hands since 2016. I can't think of another game of theirs that I've played in years, but like TSR, FASA, and other before them, I always thought that Mayfair would be a cog in the general gaming industry. 

And Asmodee gobbling up board game companies just doesn't sit well with me.   It's probably just me, but my gut is telling me to wait for a big blowout sale, if I ever find anything that tickles my fancy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment