Monday, July 12, 2010

Historicon 2010 Part Three: The Other Games

The theme for Historicon was "Pike and Shotte: Warfare in the 17th Century. I didn't see many theme games being played, but I believe that has more to do with (a) It's not my thing and (b) none were eye-catching displays. Outside of the Duke's displays there were many "forgetable" games that were naval battles on blue cloth or 15mm Napoleonics with felt terrain. You certainly don't need $5,000 worth of Miniature Building Authority's terrain to have fun, it just makes it eye-catching.

This might be the only theme game I took notice of, they used led lights in the fire.

The Alamo in 54mm... I reckon that's a lot of Mexicans

Yes, my friends, a Boldo sighting!


Germany vs. Brazil, apparently the GM was not an octopus.

A fantastic pulp game involving a mystic banana (that's what she said..)

Here is the Gnome Wars Joust, a double elimination tournament using GW mounts and rules from a "respectable" historical game. I went 1-2 despite some great tactics and rolls. Pictured here is Rosalie of the Rosary, one of the newest GW celebrities. She rolled through the opposition, collecting multiple bounties until Jim "The Gnome Guy" Stanton stood in her way. Faced with Jim's swagger and trash talking, Rosalie pulled out her Rosary to give her strength! All was for naught, as Jim unhorsed her in an all-business manner. Jim got to the finals, finally running out of gas vs the 2010 Historicon champ, Rich. Fun was had by all.

28mm Modern using Miniature Building Authority buildings. I must take a picture of the Falafel House everytime I see it.

Alas, I did not have time for one of the Gnome Wars supergames, but upon visiting it, things were well in hand. Lots of players with new units I had not seen on the battlefield before. My God, there was a full unit French, and they were firing at the enemy!!!! The balloon contraption was pretty nifty, and I saw a couple of the Gnomenizer tanks rolling through the town.

Paper ships re-creating a sea battle of the Great Northern War. I post this as this is the same system Archi played his 12-hour epic Age of Sail game. The GM ran three different games, as the flags were changed for each scenario. Go Sweden!
Beyond that, the tournaments (FoW, DBA, etc) seemed sparsely attended, but that could be due to the change in venue making setup look different. There was a Battletech room, a few Car Wars events, and a return of Sandscape, a Heroscape-based system that ran minis games for the French Foreign Legion defending Fort Zinderneuf (same as I played at Cold Wars), as well as a Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen kids game.
I had arranged to leave at 4pm Saturday, so I did miss out on the beaucoup events. We'll work on a two night stay next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment