Sunday, February 27, 2011

(LoS) My goodies have arrived!

So, today was an emotional day, for numerous reasons. First off, my morning entailed taking our faithful dog Dudley to the SPCA to be put to sleep. After 12 good years, his quality of life was dwindling away each dav and it just wasn't fair to see him suffer anymore. He and I never saw eye to eye, but I'll miss him.

The day improved in the afternoon as my much-anticipated purchase arrived in the mail.

Men, lock up your wives... Women, escape from the basement and grab some dice, viscounteric's in possession of Legions of Steel again.

The auction on eBay was for an LoS boxed set, sans figures. I actually didn't win the auction, but the fellow who did did a lousy job reading the item description. Seriously, after seeing the 2nd Edition boxed sets sell for $150, I can't imagine someone putting down a paltry bid and expecting to win a complete boxed set.

The fellow auctioning it off was very nice with his second chance offer. In addition to the boxed set items pictured, I would receive a few non-LoS figures to enhance play...

Throw in a squad of half-painted Ultramarines, and some very fitting Separatist robots from Star Wars for no additional cost, and things couldn't get any better.

But they did.

Knowing my eldest's love of puzzles and miniatures, I let Maja sort through the interlocking tiles and play with the figures. At first she was content with the tiles, but upon seeing the figs, she shouted "No-nos!" (translation: Gnomes!) with glee, and began walking them down the corridors. She also added the little girl with a tennis racket into the boxed set. It was sweet moment, and keeps me thinking I should take her along for my day trip to Cold Wars in two weeks. Yes, it's a logistical issue. Yes, it will impede my ability to play in any games. Yes, it will shorten my visit, which I still have to pay admission. But somewhere inside me, I think she would like all the "No-Nos", I can still get certain things accomplished there, and my wife can have a relaxing Saturday with only our two month old. It would be nice to have a day to myself, but as a parent, you're constantly reminding yourself that it's never about you anymore

And I don't mind that one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment