Thursday, May 16, 2019

Emron.... er, Emeron Unleashed

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, especially for a GM.

My Georic campaign has been adopted by some of my fellow friends over the years.

My friend Hoyce, famed for Zorin Redrock in the Burning Trogs Rule!, Talis Makolin in Ballad of the Pigeon God, and Dr Eric Bowsfield in my Cthulhu game, was one of the players who took the basics of the campaign world (third, or even fourth-hand I believe) put his own take on things and carved out a successful corner of his "Goric" world for almost two decades of gaming. 

Hoyce, in the rocking chair as part of the Boston Experimental Theatre, circa 2007, I didn't even know this and other pictures existed....  and he is credited as Hoyce McGurgle.(not his real name)
Follow me here, it's a little loopy for me.

I originally placed the land of Emron in the far off corner of my original map.  A carbon copy of Glantri in the D&D Known World, when our friend TOWN (The Other White Nate) ran a parallel game to mine at college, to avoid cross-campaign contamination, I let him take complete control over it.  I only made the the PCs in my campaign make a quick (and disastrous visit).  The rest was Nate's; adding characters, tweaking geography and politics, etc.  TOWN dropped out of school, and Hoyce ultimately took over the mantle that game and a number of others over the years. 

When I retrofitted the campaign to fit the fantasy Epic of Aerth, my Emron naturally assumed the territory of Italy and the Balkans, with heavy politics and magistocracies reigning supreme for Hackmaster.  The princes (and princesses) were fleshed out, geo-politics expanded, with new threats, orcish and Atlantean. 

For Hoyce, the last two decades have allowed him to tweak Emron into completely opposite directions, filling in the blank canvas all around.  After years of gameplay, it's now called the Kingdom of Emeron, an Anglicized version of the original concept, but still as awesome as ever.

He's been writing up his current campaign on his blog, Hoyce's Gaming. I'm not a fan of Wordpress and at the time of this writing there are over sixty entries, so I've taken up my rights as the initial shadow concept from long long ago, and collected (and linked) the stories to a page on this blog, Emeron Unleashed

Obviously things aren't going to jive with some of the stories, but as I would back in the college days, by Viscount Decree, everything in Hoyce's Emeron campaign will affect the Emron in my Georic, only 100 years later than the dates on the post (1259 is perfect for the setting... I might be able to make the Great Chasm a  reality with 115 years since the last campaign.

So by all means, check out Hoyce's blog, read to your heart's content, and see how much Hoyce, and his players, love that game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment