Thursday, June 6, 2019

Critical Role: Tails of Equestria One-Shot

The good folks at Critical Role put together a one shot episode of My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria on Youtube for the whole world.  


As someone who runs MLP at cons for kids, I must commend them for putting it together the game, and heavily critique it. 

For someone who thinks they've perfected a two hour con game with a randomly generated plot, the three hours, thirty-nine minute one shot is painfully long.  So long, that at 45 minutes, my 10 year old watching with me complained, "Are they going to do anything?  They've rolled like one or two dice." 

Role-playing wise, it's a frenetic hot mess that I myself was bored with after an hour, but it did remind me of two rules we rarely get around to in the shorter games. 

1) Some talents, that kids rarely take, allow them to roll both the talent die and the appropriate trait die in certain circumstances.  Best roll is used.

2) Ponies can still perform the impossible by maxing out their current die they are rolling. If the difficulty is 8 and their trait is d6 (impossible to get an 8 on a d6), if they roll a 6, they may then roll a d8.  If they roll an 8 on that, they then may roll a d10,  and so on and so on.  They can then pick the best result of each die roll.  

No comments:

Post a Comment