Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Return of the Great OId Gaming Survey

One rough definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  While I'm usually a bit more pragmatic when it comes to daily life, gamemastering is a whole different kettle of fish.  

For nearly 25 years, I've actively tried to get feedback from my players as to, not only what games they wanted to play, but what they want in said game, to make every week more enjoyable.   While I've enjoyed the direct feedback whenever it came by, I've always tried to used more formal surveys and polls to assemble more critical data, as well as try to float new ideas.   Rarely do these things work, as, like with with "real-life" polls, folks will stick with what they know and feel safe with.  

Recently, I thought a session from our Star Wars d6 campaign was going to deviate and possibly force the campaign to Jump the Shark.    By the grace of God, it somehow didn't transpire like I thought it would, but it did make me go through with another survey.  
With a Google Form survey at my bidding, I tried to cover four important topics, while trying to slide my new options into the conversation (eg Gamma World).   By my surprise, before the next session, every active player (including myself) had responded, and the results will be easy to guide me every Monday night.

Question #1- What Should Our Primary Game Be?   With multiple voting options open on this question, I only got one extra vote.  It was unanimous:  We will be playing the current Star Wars campaign through the summer, and possibly longer.

Question #2 - What Should Our Secondary (Back-Up) Game Be?  Multiple voting options.  Most of our recent sessions have been all the players, or everyone cancelling, but everyone appreciates it when we're missing a key player and I run something else instead.  This was bit more spread out.  I need to prep Illuminati University characters for Risus.  Considering I have roughly a d1000 random scenario generator hiding in the blog, it makes sense, but I do need to spend twenty minutes one session and make sure everyone has a character sheet on Roll20.  I also got votes for the Canadian College Call of Cthulhu game, as well as more of the Micro-RPGs out of the Ultimate Micro-RPG Book.

As usual, no broadening their horizons, unless I put them up to it first.

Question #3 - Any other games, systems, genres, that you'd like us to cover?  Open ended (and optional) question, the only response to this one was a knowing nod the D&D options I provided.  

Question #4 - Should We Add/Invite More Players?  While most of the players would love it if previous players could come back and play with us, everyone is open to adding a player or two.  I'll set up a limited series of invitations for try-outs 

No comments:

Post a Comment