Monday, July 5, 2021

Giant Disappointment with Reaper's Bones 5

I got my Reaper Bones 5 Kickstarter rewards in the mail on Saturday.  Upon opening it, I instantly regretted doing so. 

Disclaimer:  I've been a regular Kickstarter supporter for Reaper since Bone II.   I've purchased Mouslings from them since the old Heritage sculpts in the early/mid-90's.  Any mouslings that have appeared on the Kickstarters, have been quickly gobbled up, so it was no surprise that when Bones 5 finally posted that campaign's crew as add-ons, I quickly put aside some quick cash for two sets.  

In the world of Kickstarter, it's always pledger beware, and I should have questioned why the initial add-on was $10 (and it never added figures to it), but so and behold the mouslings in Bones V as simply MASSIVE compared to the orginals.  Like if a dwarf and bugbear had a baby, that far out of scale. 

I can find some mention of the significant change in size during the Gene Van Horne Deeper Dive in Update #96.  

It's my fault for not catching it, but the lack of open discussion about it, plus the disappointment in my children who wanted more normal-sized mouslings to play with, and I'm just over this Kickstarter, even more so than the Cthulhu Wars: Catpocalypse, and that's a disaster for at least a year. 

To add insult to injury, if I had known from the start, I would have happily pledged my buck, poured over the options and probably would not have picked out other add-ons.  However, after selecting the mouslings, I tacked on the fantasy townsfolk and Arakoth, the giant spider.  Already in a foul mood, upon review, the townsfolk are about as dynamic as a fence post (and it matches the pictures).  Arakoth is simply HUGE and I'm not sure how it can be the same price as a set of mouslings... or half the set of townsfolk.  I guess I might paint up that one, but I'm closer to just throwing all four lots on eBay.  I've got too much else to paint that I enjoy painting (flaws and all) and are all the right size.  


No comments:

Post a Comment