Saturday, May 27, 2023

(Review) Nerdvana Tabletop Games, Egg Harbor, New Jersey

With both kids at the Atlantic City Girls Basketball Showcase last weekend in Atlantic City, I got to watch a lot of basketball, as well as drive down with my older daughter, but outside of a team lunch, I was persona non grata for the rest the of the day with my wife.   So, after the final game on Saturday afternoon, I drove back to my separate hotel room, chilled for a bit, and concocted a plan for to find a game store and hopefully a (separate) good place for dinner. 

I can safely say I found Nerdvana with only a 25-minute drive. 

If you're going to be strip-mall gaming store, nothing seems like aiming for success (or Jersey) than setting up shop down the sidewalk from a Shop Rite.  

Cleanliness:  What does staff do while a roaring Magic tournament is going on in the back?  How about... DUST!  Cleanliness is always the first category I review, and seeing a staff member using some type of Swiffer duster over top of the board games on the shelves immediately gave me a good feeling.  Everything else was well organized and professional.  

CCGs:  Magic, Pokemon, One Piece, Flesh and Blood and Yu-Gi-Oh!  Magic singles in binder and in the case, although the nice selection of cards in the case were numbered into groups.  I assume they might be a reference system, or they could be consignment sales.  It's been a long time single I've seen three Unlimited Icy Manipulators in a case, regardless of price.

Role-Playing Games:  A healthy, but not overwhelming stock of D&D, with a fierce selection of Free League and other games.  

Miniatures:  GW and D&D minis, Star Wars, Marvel Crisis Protocol, plus an actual selection of Song of Ice and Fire boxed sets?  Throw in a host of other boxed sets and terrain, and I was quite happy.  

Board Games: The standards plus a healthy assortment of games that made me take a second glance.

Accessories:   Also saw some Gundam and anime models lurking throughout the store.  A couple ingenious displays I had not seen before, namely a wooden folding wine rack for use displaying the spray paint cans, and trouser hangers and a rack to better display CCG play mats.  Multiple racks of different paints, and enough dice roll a gigantic fireball in dozens upon dozens of colors and themes. 

Events:   Looking at their signs and the Facebook page, they have hosted/continue to host the variety of GW and CCG tournaments.

My stomach was controlling me for part of my visit, and after doing a little in-store dance after finding they had Wiz-Kids Dungeon Dressing: Merchant's Row in stock.  I quickly took it to the counter to pay for it.  The staff was pleasant, the store clean, and the back gaming area rocking.  It's a no brainer that I give Nerdvana Tabletop Games Four out of Five Gnomes.

In some quick searching, I realized some other bloggers who opinions I hold dearly had nothing but great things to say about the place.  

An equal four out of five gnomes (maybe 4 1/2) can be given to Rama Thai in the same shopping center.  I got immediately seated, the food was great, and I could still taste the medium spiciness on my foggy drive home to the hotel.  

Nerdvana Tabletop Games is located in the English Creek Shopping Center (Shop Rite), 3003 English Creek Ave, Egg Harbor NJ 08324, right off  the Black Horse Pike (US 40).  More information can be found on their Facebook Page and Discord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment