Friday, May 12, 2023

(Kickstarter) $1 One Shot 5e Adventure: The Trouble With Gnolls

 As much as I'm a grumpy old man about the inundation of cheap STL files on Kickstarter, I may have fallen for (and will continue to fall for) the $1 RPG module concept, The Trouble With Gnolls just being the latest. 

One of the original concepts Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general is to bring those labor of loves into reality, be it art, music, writing, or, in our case, games.  Somewhere along the line "larger" companies took advantage of this model for not not fringe projects, or massive experiments needing additional backing, but just regular products that would eventually show up... and in many cases the Kickstarter financing does not speed up the process.  Seems like a lot of the projects I would expect with crowdfunding are crammed into #ZineQuest, and a lot of projects that should be zine-scaled are greatly expanded because they can, when in fact, they shouldn't be.  

The Dollar modules (which I file off the serial numbers and adapt to Gamma World) are almost too cheap for my sensibilities.  I'm stuck in the mindset of $5-15 products and uncomfortable shipping costs for physical product.  Historically I have more $1 pledges for items that I know will fail spectacularly, but I just want a front row seat to watch the world burn, versus legitimate projects I want to throw a buck at to succeed, so that might be my discomfort.  

From the Kickstarter:

Retired adventurer, Willem Byford built his farm house over a cavern thinking a big basement would be great to stash his lifetime collection of treasures. Little did he know that the shrine he found deep in the cavern belonged to Yeenoghu, demon deity of the gnolls. Now he has troubles...gnoll troubles.

The Trouble with Gnolls is a pdf adventure for a party of 4 to 5 characters of level 3 or 4 and lasts 3 to 6 hours. This adventure can be dropped into any campaign setting.

An adventure in the traditional 5e format that's more than a one sheet for $1?  Absolute gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment