Sunday, September 1, 2024

The Passing of Steve Boegemann

Very sad news from HMGS this week, as member of the HMGS Board of Director (and Treasurer at last note) Steve Boegemann passed away on August 21st. 

I have two observations from interacting with Steve.  First, for a Board member, he had open ears to listen to any input, a thick enough skin to handle the criticism, warranted or not, and the acumen to help HMGS get out of the COVID years and grow in a stable and responsible manner.  

Secondly, Steve was the Awards Manager for all the HMGS shows.  He was responsible for all the volunteer event judges and the distribution of the PELAs and larger awards.  He originally recruited not only myself, but my teenage daughter, Maja to be judges during the last Fall-In!    It was a great insight for me as a GM how the Awards Program was supposed to work, Maja absolutely fell in love judging and was part of the panels for three different time slots at Historicon.  Steve was nothing but appreciative for our help, and very supportive of Maja engaging her role of judge with seriousness and enthusiasm.    In fact, I had just finished an email conversation with Steve regarding a future blog post about the PELAs about two weeks ago,.  He had offered his phone number to talk about an further ideas I had, and I'm disappointed I couldn't find some time to make that call.  



No comments:

Post a Comment