Friday, January 28, 2011

The Apathy of New Releases (Feb '11)

It's that time of month...


The next issue of Game Trade Monthly is out, and despite my permanent address at the hospital watching over my little girl, I do have plenty of time for reading.

Given that Alliance/Diamond is the biggest gaming distributor of general gaming items, I am again apathetic in the selection of new releases coming out. Here's hoping Previews helps the multi-faceted store's profit margin, but I doubt it.

On viscounteric's want list? Only the Repear holiday mouseling (see pic). Like about half of the holiday figures so far, I see few applications for the fig except for decoration. $3.99

Although a unit of winged mouseling archers might look a bit imposing on the gaming table, if it wasn't so ridiculous.

My wishlist is equally pathetic:
The Impossible Machine card game by Closet Nerd. Players make overly complex machines to do simple task (think of it as the card game version of Mouse Trap.) $14.95

The store list is quirky. Going back and seeing what I recommended in previous months, I'll mention the new releases for those items again. The one thing I hate is a store that invests in couple base sets, some accessories, sells 70% through and doesn't follow through on the new items.


  • Ars Magica: The Church

  • 40K Universe RPG stuff:DARK HERESY: THE BLACK SEPULCHRE, DEATHWATCH: RITES OF BATTLE and ROGUE TRADER: BATTLEFLEET KRONUS

  • The new Doctor Who RPG (scheduled release April)

  • WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY: THE WITCH’S SONG

  • A couple new units for Dust Tactics and a campaign expansion.

  • Three new books of Mongoose's Traveller

  • PLUSH CTHULHU SLIPPERS!!!!!!

  • A new printing of Steve Jackson's Awful Green Things from Outer Space

  • WizKids will release Star Trek Expeditions, a non-collectible miniature game with figs from the original series and a couple ships. Looks like your standard landing party that goes through numerous missions.

  • WOTC ALERT: DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: MORDENKAINEN’S MAGNIFICENT EMPORIUM HC. Nothing in this book will do this proud magic-user justice, but I seeth in WOTC hate, so I will kindly shut up.
The rest of the items are products that I've never heard of, never heard buzz about, and would be very cautious in ordering if my customers didn't mention it. Of course, your mileage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment