Monday, January 31, 2011

Reaper Mouseling Boxed Set Review (with added Frumitty!)

I have had the mouseling boxed set for some time and despite the fact that I have yet to get a drop of paint on them, I’m very happy with their purchase.

First off, I love mouselings in general. I was a big fan of the Heritage recasts the Reaper did when they first started back in the mid-90s. I’ve already seen their use on boards and blogs by people of all ages, but the one thing that surprises me is their size.

Presentation: the ten figures were packaged in a fairly generic Reaper box advertising their mecha game CAV with front and back single page overlays. The box has four pieces of foam inside to protect the figures.

The figures themselves are sufficiently detailed with no noticeable mold lines on any of the mouselings. There was, however, an inordinate amount of flash on each figure. The flash is easily removable with no damage to the quality of figures.

The size of the figures is absolutely tiny! The mouselings are compared to a 3rd edition 40K Catachan Jungle Fighter, Legions of Steel Recee Trooper, and a Hackmaster Halfling Torch Bearer all technically 28/30mm. Without a base, the mouselings are appropriately dwarfed and I can’t imagine using a 20mm GW base without it looking ridiculous. Perhaps a dime or penny?

The assortment gives you a wide variety of character types to play with: barbarian, wizards, archers, rogue, even a musketeer and a knight. I do sort of wish that Reaper made the figures available individually. Multiple copies of the mouseling with cowl could go along way in a Mouse Guard game.

Frumitty, Hackmaster Torchbearer, three mouselings, and a Jungle Fighter

Frumitty, on the other hand is a strange anomaly. He/she/it is the large figure next to the torch bearer in the picture. The lemur cleric is a one good hunk of metal with no noticeable clean-up or flash removal needed. I am very pleased with this figure as well, just a little confused as to it’s price of $9.99. The blister pack it came in had very poor printing that mention some form of charity, so I’m assuming “proceeds from the sale of this item go towards the illegible charity.” I also couldn’t find any reference to it on the Reaper website so apparently the charity isn’t as important as when they first released the fig. C’est la vie!

Overall I’m tickled pink with theses acquisitions and am happy to add this to my “To be painted” collection. I’ll be happy to use these figs for Mouse Guard, alternative figs for dungeons crawling, or as a native resistance force for those Imperialist gnomes!

No comments:

Post a Comment