Friday, August 31, 2012

My eBay Order Was Stolen... By My 3-Year Old

The eBay bug bit me last week, otherwise known as Legions of Steel minis showed up at a reasonable starting bid. Whoever sniped me at last second still got a good deal on the minis from the blue starter set, but my daughter, Maja, is much happier with my other winnings.

The seller (xens2004) had a wide range of items with most of the minis blisters starting at $0.99. I bid on a bunch of them, mostly to justify the shipping costs.

In the end I missed out on the LOS, as well as some cool Clan Wars Nagas, but I think my haul for thirteen bucks is decent.



  1. 2 Neo Soviet Cyclops for VOR
  2. Dark Elf Dark Rider Standard Bearer
  3. High Elf Dragon Princes Champion
  4. Bretonian Sorceress
  5. 2 Orc Boarboyz, 1 command, and 1 regular.
Pretty eclectic, but I'm not looking to build an army, just some appropriate figures for my daughter to play games with.

Maja has already designated the figures for her own storytelling ways: The Bretonnian Sorceress is the "Good Witch." The high elf champion is, of course, "The Prince." The Dark Rider is his sidekick. The Cyclops and Orc are, of course, bad guys, one group fast and the other strong.

I believe we have a painting date with a little girl tomorrow.

The one thing that caught me unawares was current pricing and packaging for WFB. I went on Games Workshop's website just to see what comparable figs went for nowadays, and I wasn't shocked.

The Bretonnian Sorceress ($5.50)? She's now the sidekick of a mounted Prophetess. Probably some rules changes as well, but the two now come together for $17.00.  Both figs are still metal (horse is plastic).

The Orc Boarboyz go from $7 apiece back in the day to a nice five man unit for $29. Of course, the new ones are all plastic, but saving money on new GW product is always a surprise.

The mounted elves can vary. The metal mounted heroes fetch $12-15 apiece, while the unit of five the Dark Rider standard bearer would be attached to would be a little over $30 (for plastic).

The VOR figs are out of production her in the States, but Ral Partha Europe has them around $6.50 apiece,  plus shipping costs.

Ah to dream of a 3-pack of Grenadiers for $2.75...

No comments:

Post a Comment