Friday, March 28, 2014

(Kickstarter) City-State of the Invincible Overlord

After some delays, Judges Guild has officially launched their Kickstarter for a new version of the the legendary City-State of the Invincible Overlord.  For many, this was their first "monster" campaign setting, with reams of maps and tons of raw data in tiny font crammed into the product.

The new version is largely a polished version of the original, with stats weighted towards Pathfinder.  While I would love more "generic fantasy" stats (read..  some old-school edition of D&D with the serial numbers filed off), this would sell better nowadays, plus I must admire the way they set up the stretch goals. 

Unlike most stretch goals I've encountered, where most of them are add-ons to the main pledge, it looks like every stretch goal is additional product available at a nominal price.  Most are more detailed maps to specific regions with an additional $5 charge.  For the sheer size of them, each one is probably worth it.

The only flaw for me, besides the Pathfinder stats, is the fact that it closes the day after Tanner Jones and the Quest for the Monkey Stone does, and with two girls who are far crazier about teddy bear pirates than Invincible Overlords, my pledge is a measely dollar.  Perhaps some crazy attendees of my birthday party/con will shower me with fundage to qualify as a BLACK LOTUS OF THE INVINCIBLE OVERLORD (Mwahahahahaaha....)

Edit:  Ask and ye shall receive.... This appeared on the FAQ after I typed up the post:
This is written with both Judges Guild's Universal (read 0E/1E generic) and Pathfinder stats side-by-side making it completely flexible to suit your individual campaign's needs. So if you prefer Old-School systems or retro-clones, this can easily be ported.

Edit #2: Due to overwhelming response, it looks as if the Universal and Pathfinder stats will be in separate printings.  No chance of getting your musty OD&D on my Pathfinder or my sour Pathfinder in my OD&D.

Now I just need to rob a bank, or make new friends with piles of disposable income.

No comments:

Post a Comment