There are those games that raise up my hope in the world, and let it crash down upon my soul.
The 25th Anniversary Edition of Hackmaster, now on Kickstarter from Kenzer and Company, is exactly what I expected, and I should not complain in the least.
The original 4th Edition, actually licensed from the world of D&D/AD&D was my salvation from artsy-fartsy game concepts I was brewing in my head. It was my game of choice for the early 2000's with epic tales that some of us just talked about last night, including The Journey of Mutumbo and, of course, Burning Trogs Rule!. A few items have have been sold off as needed plunder, but it still holds a key spot on my shelf, within arms reach, just in case someone summons the call.With the license expiring, they removed most of the parody elements, and refined the rules for a completely different 5th Edition in 2009. While some of the elements from their Aces & Eights western rules (most excellent) migrated over, marriage, kids, and life in general never got me into that set, or the investment for the beautiful books.
Disclaimer: The 25th Anniversary edition is a refinement on the 2009 game. It's now expanded into a four-book set: The Player's Character Codex, The Player's Guide to Adventuring, a single volume of the Hacklopedia of Beasts, and, of course, the GameMaster's Guide.
Would I like all four volumes being so triumphant on my bookcase that I would have to buy a new one worthy of their glory? Sure! But as I will probably lament during #RPGaDay2026 in a few days, if I do full-on fantasy, "getting the band back together," it would be 4th edition, all the chuckles and clunky rules on display.
I am, however, interested in the add-ons, so I pledged the $5 tier, hoping to overspend once pricing becomes available: The Hackmaster dice bag ($20) , the official pin ($20) , the set of d10,000 for critical hits ($15), and the one thing that intrigues me, Gary Jackson's Power Dice. ($20)


No comments:
Post a Comment