Friday, April 8, 2011

(Nostalgia) All this lead is 'ettin to me...

I've always painted in spurts, which has led to accumulations of minis which ultimately I purge for no good reason. In April of 2000, I wrapped up "The College Campaign" at ESU. Although I plenty of material to keep it going indefinitely with an evolving cast of characters, the characters (and players) were iconic enough that I wanted to end this chapter in grand style.

Through the Summer, we at Griffon Games were ramping up the release of 3rd Edition, and I was pondering the next step for the Georic Campaign world. With just the release of the Player's Handbook, I realized 3e was not for me, so I turned into a more thematic direction: High Fantasy mixed with Pulp using Masterbook.

Please don't laugh.

I said stop it!

I wanted to emulate the action-packed TORG game I had seen at local conventions. Carboard figures for the villans and real minis for the characters were more for placement than for tactical wargaming. So I began painting at the store during slow times. Mike had left a crate of paints in the storage closet, and I snagged a few more to fill in the gaps. Many figs were absolute crap. Many were painted up solely to cover all the characters in The Sceptre of Amun-Ra from Journeys Magazine that I wanted to start the campaign off with. Truly, this one is my pride and joy from that experiment:

This is the Ettin from the 1999 WoTC mini line. It is only one of two minis that I successfully used Games Workshop's Dark Flesh paint. Lucky for my future gaming group, the store closed, I got a "real" job, and Hackmaster came out the following year. The minis still came out en masse for the first three or four sessions and the ettin made his only appearance when I ran "The Ettin's Riddle," one of the free adventures WoTC released to promote 3e. It sucked, and the ettin has been sitting in a mini case ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment