Friday, May 3, 2013

"Meh" the Fourth

So it's May the Fourth, Star Wars day for those so inclined. A whole day that boils down to Facebook getting overloaded with increasingly annoying memes, or the occasional silver lining like Hasslefree Miniatures offering 20% off its space minis through some point Sunday.

I've come to the realization that Stars Wars just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Maybe it's the close to twenty years of second-generation comic books, Special Editions, new movies, toys, and games. Maybe it's that I haven't watched any of the movies since before the kids were born. Perhaps I spent enough time sling stuff to Star Wars Fanboys (capital F) who make the Kiss Army look like disinterested bores.

Now, the gaming related portion: I have only played five SW-related games in the soon to be thirty years that the games has been around. Twice with West End's d6 version in high school with my friend Scott, one game of Star Wars Monopoly at Crazy Larry's, one great d6 con game with the infallible Eric Pierson, and I ran a "Land of Misfit Droids" game for the group back around 2007. No CCGs. No TCGs, no minis games collectible, lead, or starship. Sorry, no naked Star Wars Trivial Pursuit/Twister either.

Not that I didn't have opportunities to. Pierson's Star Wars game was most legendary, and I'm sure if my girlfriend at the time could waltz into his game, I had a spot if I asked. The best part of his game was , despite all his his love for the SW Universe, Eric's campaign was heretical in nature.

A former Stormtrooper before people talked about such things.

A protocol droid with multiple (sometimes megalomaniacal) personalities.

Zorak from Space Ghost

Big Bob Watts from Doomtrooper

A Wookie "Adult" film star.

In addition to the regularly motley crew (plus a Jawa.)

Perhaps the thought that SW should be played in such a fun manner has turned me off from the vast majority who worry more about cannon than having a good time.

Oh well, my four year old was a maniacal Barney fan a mere two years ago and outgrew it, I guess it can happen to my stuff as well. I'd go into more detail, but I have to get things done around the house before I catch another episode of Doctor Who.

I guess they can come back, too


2 comments:

  1. I just got back into star wars recently when I realized that 'The Old Republic' was free to play now.

    Also, how am I following your blog twice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It occasionally is twice as awesome as normal?

    ReplyDelete