Sunday, July 14, 2019

Our Historicon 2019 Saturday Day-Trip

It's late, but it's a good time to load up the pictures from the day-trip visit to Historicon I took Saturday, with my ten-year old daughter, Maja.

Of course, the biggest story leading up to the con was it's inaugural run at the Lancaster County Convention Center.

The verdict is in:

I might cover a snafu or two later on, but I'm just wondering why we didn't go there sooner.  I'm sure earlier iterations of the convention staff/board didn't want to handle some of the logistical issues with vendors/GMs/Wally's Basement, but in the end it ran with few vocal issues. 

And it's sooooo freakin' nice. 

So, at 6:30am in the morrning, we loaded up in the car and departed for Lancaster.
Since PA-72 dumped up right onto Prince St for the Steinman Park Garage, we didn't need to change our normal drive down.  However, we did finally stop at Heisey's Diner for the first time ever and grabbed breakfast.   Way too pleasant, way too inexpensive for the portion of food you ordered. 

When we arrived at the Parking Garage around 9:30, we basically got a spot right next to the Level 2 stairs/elevator, walked up a reasonable hill, picked up our badges, swag bag, and parking validation in the matter of seconds.
The entrance, a little later in the day


The main walkway covering registration, the entrances to Freedom A (tournaments), Freedom B (vendor hall), and the wonders of Wally's Basement. 
 I had been warned that the days of heat exhaustion and heart palpitations wandering over the Host's property were gone, as the convention center has a vertical footprint.

After a quick wandering, we hiked up the stairs to the top of Montgomery House for a War College lecture “Historical Gaming in the School Classroom: A How to Guide from both the Teacher and Student Perspective."  A teacher at the Hackley School in Tarrytown, New York , Jared Fishman has spent the last decade using gaming in the classroom, particularity wargaming.
Jared Fishman (center) with his student, Dillon Schaevitz
It was a well-needed rah-rah session, and for all intents and purposes, it should be one.  Wargaming in Education is a focus on the Board of Directors for HMGS and would be nice to see them focus on developing high school wargamers of all shapes and sizes.

After the presentation, Maja and I found the elevator to take us back downstairs, and we further descended onto Wally's Basement.   The tables had adequate space, but the irregular shape of the room created poor spots to set up a table.
 We then walked around Freedom Hall.  The Convention staff  split the room, half for tournaments and a few other games, half for the vendor hall.
The great dividing line.
Got through two vendors with an impatient Maja before we encountered our major snafu of the convention.   In the convention book, Hobby University was slotted in some of the side rooms near the main ballroom on the 3rd floor.  Try as I might, there were no open doors in that section, nor signs pointing me in the right direction.   
Siege of Paris
Finally, upon reaching some volunteers, I also spied a map on an easel, correctly pointing out that Hobby U was on the 4th Floor

With a little extra exercise hopping up the (temporarily) broken elevator, we were only Jim Stanton's class, "How to paint a 2-footer". 
Maja slaving away
Despite my orienteering problems, Hobby U was well-attended, so much so, that I believe the free mini paint-and-take had no space to occur, at least where I could not see them.
A well-attended "How to Make a Swamp/Water Feature" class.



The tournament/overflow game side of Freedom Hall

Another view of Freedom Hall 
After the class, we wandered down to see Mike Lung as he set up his "Showdown at Hogwallow Creek" game using a western variant of Gnome Wars.  


Truth be told I found another western that had a far more elaborate board in the gaming hall on 2, but they didn't have jackalopes, orc cowboys, Mexican Tequila Worm Banditos, or angry cactus gods.
Mike already had a full event and wasn't looking for GM-allied troublemakers to start the game, so we left the site for Maja's thoroughly researched lunch options in downtown Lancaster.
Battletech
Max's Eatery was right around the corner from the convention center and covered two of Maja's key food groups:  Cheeseburgers and milkshakes.  
There is a happy girl
I can use that palm tree as terrain, dagnabbit!
I found it to be a hipster take on a 50's diner... if the diner had a liquor license. The milkshakes were perfect, the food pricey but great portions, and while the service felt a little slow, (a) we came in just after the lunch rush cleared out (b) the air conditioning kept us happy, and (c) despite slower service, the staff was pleasant and attentive.


 After lunch we ran back to the car to replenish our supplies and chill, while getting our phones recharged.  Then it was back to the con for round two of the flea market and the a full and proper assault on the vendor hall.
We also got to revisit Hogwallow as the horse poop was hitting the windmill.







By 6, I was up in the Heritage Hall, commandeering tables for my event, The Historicon Gnome Joust.

Over thirty players participated, and in the end it was Carol versus Nate T for the championship. It was quite fitting, as Nate had knocked her into the loser's bracket in the first round, and she clawed her way back.  Nate even demanded double elimination, so Carol had to beat him twice to win.
So she did it.

Congrats Carol!  And thanks to the other Stout Gnomes for keeping things moving, especially with so many first-time participants.
The Miniature Building Authority Middle-East/Jungle Board #1

The Miniature Building Authority Middle-East/Jungle Board #2

The Miniature Building Authority Middle-East/Jungle Board #3

The Miniature Building Authority Middle-East/Jungle Board #4

The Miniature Building Authority Middle-East/Jungle Board #5

The astute reader may have noted the use of "I" for working the Gnome Joust.  Where did I leave Maja?  Well, when I got here registered for the convention, just prior to the July 4th holiday, I realized their were openings for an event I've been trying to get her in for years.  When we arrived I just told her I had signed her up for a game run by the HAWKS, and she would report in the far right corner of the their hall at 7pm.

Of course, the game I signed her up for was The HAWKS Armies for Kids game, this year with Medieval theme.
My only picture of Maja playing in the game, I'm sure the HAWKS will have their official ones up soon enough.  
I had only gotten a quick text from her during the game, "There's only boys in this game :-( "

My response had to be quick, due to the joust, "Kick their butts."

By the time, I could scurry down and check on her, someone's cavalry had rampaged through her army, but she was still in good spirits.

"Daddy, we get to take home some of these figures."

Boy, that was an understatement.

Not only do the participants get two painted armies, plus the paper terrain, plus the ground cloth, plus a copy or two of Big Battles for Little Hands, but they still got another box and bag full of extra unpainted figures and swag.

A huge shout-out to the HAWKS for always organizing this, as well as everyone who donates to the cause.

If they needed any proof that this endeavor is worth it, as we drove out of Lancaster that evening, Maja said two things that touched me

"Daddy, this was really the best day ever."

and

"Daddy, do you think I can run a game with my figures at the next convention?"

I guess the allowance money is going toward 25mm Medievals.
The "other" Western game in the other hall #1

The "other" Western game in the other hall #2

The "other" Western game in the other hall #3
So, after just a day at Historicon, how does the new location really stack up:

The Lancaster County Convention Center and its staff the Palace at Versailles when compared to the host.  Tons of lighting, natural and man-made.  Lots of space (save the club room, which got a little tighter mid-day with all the tables.  Easy access all about, and the Vendor Hall and Wally's Basement are super convenient for the shoppers, at least.

On-site food, snacks, and beverages seemed acceptable.  The staff (or magical fairies) did their job.  Bathrooms were phenomenal (only at mid-day at the height of the convention, did I walk into one and get a whiff of what the Host's bathrooms smelled like ... at 9am... on Friday morning.

The elevators were slow and the escalators had some intermittent problems throughout the day, but that's the price to pay for hosting a convention in a vertical arrangement.

And can we rename Freedom Hall "The Tennis Barn" just for old time's sake?

Parking:  I gotta admit, I screwed up the parking validation at the machine in the garage, but a couple bucks for a day trip is a steal compared to other venues in other cities. 

On a similar note, the loading zones for the dealers, flea market, and of course, the GMs went far too smoothly for a first year convention.  Of course, I did hear of singular issues that arose, but Convention Director Joby Miller, the Board of Directors, and the small horde of underappreciated volunteers did their best under the circumstances.

Unfortunately that means the bar is set insanely high for next year.
Vendor Hall:  Outside the need for some extra security, I suppose, to guard half of Freedom Hall while the tournaments were still running, the arrangement looked great.  Temperature control AND natural lighting was great.  Maja took advantage of the little tables and chairs by the windows while I finished shopping.
Yes, those are Cobra HISS tanks....
Wally's Basement:  The flea market was in a decent location (with an accessible bathroom nearby).  Insert the usual complaints prices/the bargains disappear in 15 minutes.  I picked up two pieces of terrain simply because the people weren't packing up with almost an hour to go.  I don't mean the casual getting every ready to carry back to the car, I mean hurricane mandatory evacuation speed.

The SWAG:   I might do an extra post to include a picture, but I did a good job getting individual items off my want list. 
  • Badger Games:  Mariachi Band
  • Brigade Games:  More of the recent Post-Apoc figures, plus Maja's demand:  a copy of Last Days.  I guess we're playing zombie games.... on top of her Medieval stuff.
  • Crucible Crush:  Pulp Alley Tomb of the Serpent Scenario and Action Deck
  • Dragon's Horde: Cleared off all the Reaper Bones Chronoscope figures I had on my want list, save one, which was taken by the customer before me.
  • HUGE Minis:  Some more flocking accessories, plus an awesome conversation with the owner.  I hope he comes back for other HMGS cons
  • And the two pieces of terrain (desert cliffs) from the flea market.  
And of course, I can't forget poor Maja, who brought home her HAWKS armies, plus three gnomes from the painting class.  

Even if it was a very long day (we got home at 12:30am), I could agree with Maja.  It may as well have been the best day ever.  

Regardless, we will add downtown Lancaster for a family day-trip itinerary.

(367/119)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad Maja liked the game! She was about the only participant who listened when I tried to give them tactical advice. (Of course, the fact that the sharpie who faced her still ran amok through her center shows you just how useful my words of wisdom were!) Everyone did a great job, and more importantly, liked the game and all the loot they took home. That's what makes it all worthwhile. I wish someone had been doing something like this when I was young. Although I probably would have blasted straight to the moon...)

    As for me once it was over, I slept for the next 10 hours, and drove home with a lot fewer boxes of figures, terrain, etc. (i.e. the stuff we gave to the kids) than when I came.

    Best regards,

    Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, that sounds like Maja (I hope she didn't inherit my genes for losing.

    Weekend heatwave means we'll come in from the pool at mid-day this weekend and have Maja teach the neighbors (and hopefully me) the rules in wonderful air conditioing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Viscount Eric,
    As we were picking up the AFK game, you mentioned you had a carload of 1/72 plastic figures that you'd be happy to donate to the cause. If the offer is still open, we'd be very grateful to receive anything you can send. Our cupboard is getting a little empty, although we have enough plastics for the AFK game at next year's Historicon. Given the ever-more expensive USPS rates, you could drop the stuff off at the HAWKS room either at the upcoming Fall In, or Cold Wars next Spring. Or if you'd rather, you can mail them to me at 12034 Stuart Ridge Dr, Herndon VA 20170. (As I mentioned though, the USPS ain't exactly cheap anymore...)

    My email is [ bumbydad@gmail.com ] if you want to contact me--there is no possibility I will ever be tired of talking about what we all enjoy!)

    Best regards,

    Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete