Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The HAWKS Armies for Kids Game at Historicon 2019

As I made mention in our Historicon 2019 Day-Trip AAR, Maja got to participate in the HAWKS Armies for Kids event.  

With my phone battery living a shorter and shorter life (I did take a LOT of pictures), I couldn't grab any pictures, but dedicated HAWKS member Col Buck Surdu (Ret) grabbed a few pictures and posted them on Buck's Blog.  
From Buck's Blog and a host of HAWKS related blogs.


Directly from Buck's Blog:
The idea is that hopefully these kids go home and start playing games with their buddies. The kids at the convention come with their parents, so in many ways we are preaching to the converted; however, we hope that these kids go home and introduce their little buddies to wargaming.

This resonates with me, as Maja is now showing anyone the cool new figures she got AND rules to play with them.  This might be the hefty nudge I've been waiting for to allow her to consider gaming something fun to do with her friends, rather than a daddy-daughter activity.

Colonel Surdu and the rest of the HAWKS had a rough go at the convention, between parking issues and getting the corner of a darker and louder ballroom, but I implore them to take some time off (heck take a Historicon off for the project), but do not abandon the Armies for Kids program.  I had been talking to parents during that session, who knew about the program and had been unable to get their children.  If I wasn't running my own game, perhaps I could have recruited that empty sixth slot could have been filled.  *Insert comment about no-shows at convention here*
Afterwards, I found another shot from Scrum in Miniature
I've been trying to get Maja into this game for four years or so, but scheduling large and small interfered, and when it didn't the game was sold out.  I was shocked, SHOCKED I say, when at least one slot was available as of July 2nd and jumped at the opportunity.  I also didn't tell her a thing about the game before she arrived, so she was genuinely happy and appreciative to learn her good fortune.

(366/126)

No comments:

Post a Comment