Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Only 217 Gaming Days Before Christmas!

This morning, one topic on TMP really threw me for a loop:

"What's your Christmas Game Going to Be?"

Really? We're just about to hit 80 degrees today for I think the first time all year. I just turned off the heat in the last room of the house this past weekend. I don't want to think about Christmas. Talk to me in August when I'm sick of 100 degree-plus weather.

But it did get me thinking. Our extended group has always had a holiday game of some form over the years. They ranged from a few years of Beatles-inspired AD&D games, another AD&D game that involved an Elf Concentration Camp (might have been the previous games, they were kinda weird), Paranoia games, and even once or twice, somebody rented the local legion, the invite list was expanded and we chipped in ten bucks to cover rent and drinks and played a bunch of card and board games.

One of the constants in holiday games was Battletech. BIG Battletech games, urban games with combined forces (armor, infantry, mechs, and maybe an Aerospace fighter run as well). Lots of optional/house rules for the scenario, and if I learned anything, standing underneath a "water" tower was not a good idea.

Probably the best holiday game was a Toon game run by our friend the Mighty River himself, Phil. We were the Double-FF reject elves at the North Pole who were forced to be the heroes and rescue Santa Claus. I've forgotten more about the game than I remember, but I do remember us using a magic school bus (?) to fly to England to kick Harry Potter's ass, lots of explosions, and one of the elves occupations was "Santa's Fluffer." Kids, if you don't know want that means, DON'T ask your parents!

Now, I have enough trouble trying to get the crew together for a monthly game, much less all my planning for Historicon, but a holiday game is truly the epicness of all thing epic. Lots of friends, food, and fun! So I present a poll for the first time in a long while: "What should Viscount run for the Christmas Game"

*Star Wars d6 The Land of Misfit Droids II - The first game was a disaster story-wise, but character-wise we had a blast.

*Toon (Simpons) Cthulhu: He sees You When He's Dreaming - I have two rough outlines for Simpons' episodes, and I need a game with McBain and Disco Stu together again, for the first time.

*Gnome Wars Something Something Santa Claus Something Gnome Wars is one of the few minis games with rules and a fig for Santa Claus. VerYou rought ideas right now, but maybe he's kidnapped, gone rogue, or perhaps I should wait to see what Michael's will have at 80-90% off the week after Christmas. I do have that "very special" Easter game planned for next year. Mwhahaha!!!!!

*Gnomes War The War with Candyland This one I just thought of right before I finished the post. Two words: Edible Battlefield. The spoils of war melt in your mouth, not on the battlefield. Kids and Ladies very welcome.

*D&D Yule Love Feliz Navidad A very special game, using my Basic Hack rules (combined Basic D&D, Hackmaster, and BRP), using characters only seen for a passing second in a Yule-themed session I ran in college. Two words: Mariachi Fucking Kobolds!

*Illuminati University Scavenger Hunt II - Scavenger Hunt I was legen-waitforit-dary, and given the climax each time I ran it, Scavenger Hunt II would definitely fit as a holiday game. Played using Risus.

*Supremacy Christmas at Ground Zero - If Diplomacy is the game of SATLOF, then a game of nuclear weapons should be the game of Christmas!

I'll post the poll here and on Facebook. Vote early, vote often! Suggestions taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment