Tuesday, April 29, 2014

There's a Gnome Loose in Scranton!

I believe I have recovered from my birthday festivities.  Next year (or perhaps it should be next time) I'll put a little more time and effort into it.  Still, in 14 hours in a rural fire hall, I got more gaming done than in the last few cons... combined, and I hope others feel the same way. 

From my birthday gifts, the residuals keep rolling in.   I finally got my Reaper Mousling Tavern set directly from Reaper.  Perhaps I blinded myself from reality but I completely forgot it was $40 MSRP.  The case it comes in is HUGE, so that's one bonus.

I also got my free figure from RAFM for their CoC Minis Promotion they were doing on Facebook.  Little Jimmy Burke, Gangster is a TALL figure, and despite all that extra lead the muzzle of his Tommy Gun is incredibly fragile.

As some may have noticed over the past few weeks, I've begun my never-ending game of catch-up with my Call of Cthulhu campaign actual plays, and trying to reconstruct the second half of my Hackmaster campaign (2001-2004).  Work has been slow enough to allow me to bring books in attempt to recreate adventures that never made it into the campaign journal.  Once I get past them, they should read a bit better.

Now for the big news:  Let the record show for the prosecution that I imagined smothering my lovely wife with a pillow for a long time.

My wife is on the Board of Directors for A Positive Promise Pitbull Foundation, which, if you can gather, is heavily involved in rescuing pit bulls and educating the public.  They're having a 5k "Race to Rescue" on June 7th at Nay Aug Park up in Scranton, PA.  It should be a hoot.  I already volunteered to help out with registrations and post-race stuff.
After walking the dogs last night, I found that I had been invited to a Facebook event:

Eric's 5K Race to Rescue Extravaganza
A Positive Promise Pitbull Foundation will be holding their annual 5K Race to Rescue on June 7, 2014 at Nay Aug Park.

Since I love dogs and Eric loves to run (!?!?), we are joining forces to raise some money for an awesome cause!

If we can reach $500 in donations, Eric will run the 5K... if we can raise $1,500, he will do so dressed as a gnome!

That's right folks, every dollar you donate brings up closer to having a gnome run through the streets of Scranton

Did I mention I love my wife?

Little does my wife (and most friends) know that under my bulbous frame is what remains of a high school cross country runner and track & field hurdler.   I doubt I will get anywhere near my PR of 17:21 set nearly 21 years ago (I was on the District XI winning Easton Area Cross-Country team.  I will never say I was great at it), but I have six weeks to prepare.  Considering I can walk the dog for 3.1 miles in 51 minutes, I should be able to get this down pretty quick, run a respectable time, and lose a couple pounds.

If I don't get heat stroke from the gnome outfit.


Any inquiries about donating to my gnomish cause, please email me at viscounteric AT gmail, and I'll send you my contact info.

Oh, how I love my wife....

No comments:

Post a Comment