Wednesday, November 16, 2016

CoC #40 - Masks #20 - Writer's Cell Block

June 26, 1925  Hiroshima Naval Base, Japan

After a lengthy detainment aboard the Japanese Cruiser Natori, the vessel dockedat port somewhere on the Japanese mainland.  The investigators were escorted off the vessel and separated.  For David Kavida, journalist for the New Yorker, the next three days were almost as bad as some of the worst prisons in the American South that he had investigated.  Food was given sparingly and "official government representatives" who spoke barely passable English, constantly interviewed him at all hours of the night.  Yet, not at any time did they even lay a finger upon him.  The interviews could radically change for no observable reason.  Perfectly friendly conversation could turn aggressive, while other times the agent (and a translator) appeared to be playing a very bad version of good cop/bad cop. 
Through all this, Captain Isoge Taro was nowhere to be seen.

The lines of questioning were pretty straightforward.   And Kavida's answers were pretty succinct: 
*"What was your purpose on the island?"   To research for my article on the NCA I would like a representative from the American embassy please I am a journalist on assignment. 
*"What was the purpose of the New China Army on the island?"   Still unknown as we were separated and merely envoys for the Japanese interests which I believe were served as requested.  I would like a representative from the american embassy please I am a journalist on assignment.
*"Were those objectives met?"  I could not say since we didn't land with them or interact with them on the island. We were separated. I would like a representative from the american embassy please I am a journalist on assignment.
*"What was the purpose of the reading materials you had on your person/back at the warehouse?" Any materials I had were research materials for my article of any other materials I could not comment. I would like a representative from the american embassy please I am a journalist on assignment.
*"Where was the rest of the device?"
Anything we stumbled upon the Japanese army confiscated to my knowledge. The device in the center if the volcano was confiscated in its entirety and was seized. I am not sure what else you are looking for but i am not a scientist nor someone who could understand that device or its workings.  I would like a representative from the american embassy please I am a journalist on assignment.

June 29, 1925  Hiroshima Naval Base, Japan
After three days, the entire attitude of the Japanese changed.  He was manhandled and thrown into a barracks shower.  Upon cleaning up, he was escorted much less harshly to a barracks.  Half a room was dedicated to a plush cell into a full sized bed, upholstered chairs, and a desk with the typewriter and a stack of paper.

Once secured, a Japanese naval officer entered.  Without introductions he stated that the American embassy was aware of the situation, and was focused on getting American doctors to treat an illness that Steven O'Hara had contracted.  He then provided a piece of official-looking stationary from the US Embassy in Tokyo apologizing for the delay with meeting with a representative.  They were aware of who he was and had contacted The New Yorker on his behalf.  It was signed by the American Ambassador Edgar Bancroft. 
A short succession of telegrams from his editor at The New Yorker was passed to him.  Some were formal requests to the embassy requesting consul and the Japanese government for his immediate release.  Others personally directed towards him wondered for his safety, while the last  few asked for an update on his next story.

Once David finished reading, the naval officer passed a bulging portfolio through the bars.  "We understand in your interview with Captain Taro that you had an interest in the New China Army as a group of terror.  The Emporer agrees with this stance, so if it pleases you, we have provided you with intelligence documents about that group and other Communist and criminal organizations in Shanghai.   It should match and supplement your excellent journalist skills.   We believe that after you read it, you should come to a favorable attitude of my country's actions, present situation excluded.  If you need anything, the guards will pass the information to me and it will be granted within reason.  I only ask that you begin writing your experience in Shanghai."

July 4, 1925  Hiroshima Naval Base, Japan
After having some initial doubts, Kavida  finally poured through the documents provided.  The information did largely match the few leads he had followed.  Their were even a few poorly-worded references to occultisms in other groups that surprised him. 

On Independence Day, a representative from the American Embassy, a Mr Metcalf arrived.   After providing credentials, he explained that O'Hara had been taken in US Navy custody to be treated for an unknown malady.  It was simply a matter of time until the US and Japanese governments hashed through the details causing his unfortunate detention. 

July 8, 1925, Hiroshima Naval Base, Japan
A few days and multiple revisions later, David handed his second copy of his article to a guard to be sent over the wire to New York City.

July 9, 1925, Hiroshima Naval Base, Japan
Confirmation of his article's receipt by David's editor was received to his cell.

July 15, 1925 Hiroshima Station, Japan
In the evening, guards demanded he pack up his belongings:  He was finally going home.  He was escorted to a railway station and was the lone civilian in an otherwise empty baggage car.  In the early hours of the morning they arrived... in Tokyo.  The soldiers/sailors guarding him escorted him to a rather luxurious hotel, where he was allowed to bathe, eat, and catch some rest. 

July 16, 1925 Tokyo Harbor, Japan
David's guards escorted him from the hotel directly to an ocean liner.  The guard's unlocked his cabin door, tossed in his personal effects, and shoved him inside, shutting the door behind him.  A very surprised (and bald) Steven O'Hara stood up from his bed.
Soon Dr Wintermute would make his appearance and the survivors of Nyarlathotep could begin the long voyage back to the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment