Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Ballad of the Pigeon God #58: How Did Talis End Up in the Giant's Cage?

By the time Norm climbed the giant-sized furniture to the tabletop, Mellandria had unlocked the large birdcage, and long-lost Talis Makolin was coming to from the "friendly" electrical shock Mell had given him.
The bard stumbled out the door and hugged his dwarf friend.

"Talis,"  Norm asked, "Why are you in zee cages of zee giant, eating his stinky cheese?   It is not zee cheese to eat if you want zee beds of zee women to be in?"

Talis asked for some wine and a moment to recover his possessions from a junk drawer beside the giant's pantry....

He proceeded to recap the story of Nouvelle Avionne and Antian de Sephora, embellishing the heroics no one could confirm nor deny...

"When I got to the stable and mounted Eccentricity, I saw a huge explosion from the throne room.  Nothing could have lived through that, so I rode off...."

"It took sometime for Eccentricity and me to get out of the Wizard Principalities, but I hopped a ship back to Masgoth, sent that letter to you, Norm, and tried to figure out the next chapter in my fabulous life."

"I decided to pay a visit to Prince William the Scarlet of Aragain, maybe he had a use for a minstrel. I had a lot of stories to tell, after all.  It was a bit of a ride, but I eventually arrived and learned the Prince William was now King William I.  He didn't have much use for a minstrel, but he did remember me and his wife, the beautiful Evelayne had need of a musician, so I became her personal musician."

"Things rapidly went downhill in Aragain.  It turns out that King William was jealous of me and accused me of sleeping with the Queen.  I agree that our position seemed very compromising when he arrived into his bedchambers, but I tried to explain .  You see an unusually powerful wind blew through the room (I suspect a wizard) and blew the clothes from our backs.  In order to stay warm we huddled under the blankets using each other's body heat.   Suddenly the wind had stopped and before either the Queen or myself could do anything, King William walked in."

"I was forced to leave Aragain... lest King William further misunderstand and kill me.  I travelled back into Crosedes, until I encountered that cloud giant.  He seemed ready to eat me, but I thought quickly and played my lute to entertain him."

"He threw me in his sack and took me to his home.  I have been here ever since, forced to be his "songbird"  until he finally tires of me and eats me."

"As this time I kept thinking, I kept thinking to myself, 'Who would have thought that the magnificent hero, Sir Talis Makolin, Knight of Eding, and advisor of the Baronial Throne, finder of the Bell of Crosedes...' "

"Chardastes"

"Whatever, Norm."  As I was saying... savior of Eding... TWICE, and blight towards evildoers everywhere would have such an undignified death.  I was saddened for the world by the loss of my music, my tales never recited, and all the women I've never graced with my skill..."

"But now Norm, you found me.  What's our next adventure?"

"Well, Talis, vee have not seen Velandro. Rolf, Ashe and his weird brother Binklen are missing.  Zis new group with me is all that's left to stop the apocalypse from happening.  We are heading to the mountain in zat painting hanging at zee Chateau.  Hopefully, three magic artifacts are still inside.  Of course, zee magic sword and tridents are missing their wielders and, zo... It is just good old Norm and a magical battle axe!  "

"No worse odds than getting eaten by a Cloud Giant, Norm.  Grab as much wine as you can.  Let's go..."

DM Notes: With some added dialogue between Norm and Talis, this is the end of Talis' last journal entry, the final journal entry for the campaign.  After the tremendous failure at the Estate of Genevieve de Sephora, Talis' player, Hoyce, wrote up his fate if he had the fortune to get away.  I believe he had a session or two he had to take off, so the "new" group didn't have the journal to work with as they fumbled around the Barony of Eding. From this point forward, the episodes are dependent on twenty-year old memories of the players and myself.  

With many of our heroes dead or scattered, the discovery of the brash Knight of the Pigeon was a ray of hope for Norm's band of ragamuffins as they neared...

NEXT #59 - White Plume Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment