Saturday, August 18, 2018

#RPGaDay 2018 Day 18: What Art Inspires My Game?

We're getting a line of softball questions to answer for #RPGaDay:

Day 18:  "What Art Inspires My Game?"

I'll be honest, I loved me some Elmore back in the day, but nowadays?

Art, created by an artist, a painter, an illustrator, a professional interpretive goat dance?  It really doesn't hit me like it used to.

It might be that in this age of social media, everybody and their uncle posts their world for our world to see, and so much of it is so... mediocre and uninspiring to say the least.  Now I'm not saying that the person who created the art or their fellow players wouldn't be inspired by the work that was completed.  I'm just saying that, I come from a era where the few black and white drawings in the book were all we had to work on.  We mined those illustrations for as much as we could get out of them.  I just don't feel the same inspiration from either Twitter pics or the 300-page full-color professional books.

And it doesn't even have to be pretty, just competently done.  I've been inspired by plenty o' stick figures in my day.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean... I loved the sketchy, black and white illustrations in the original Twilight: 2000 books. I thought they really brought the setting to life. wouldn't see that in modern RPG books which seem to all have to be full-colour, computer paintings in hardcover tomes...

    I'm also a big fan of John Blanche. In fact, many of the studio artists at Games Workshop for the last 30 yeas now have consistently cranked out some really inspiring stuff for their Warhammer 40,000 setting. They have done a wondrous job of bringing that grim, dark future to life.

    ReplyDelete