Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Ballad of the Pigeon God #74 Commentary on the Pigeon God of Tomorrow

This whole entry should be considered DM Notes on episode #73. For the sake of everyone's sanity, I won't put it all in red text like I normally do.

After a marathon session with over a dozen players, fueled by booze and Doritos, the big-bad was apparently vanquished, the hordes of evil scattered across the land, and the Dread Lord got his due.  The campaign was finished, but like I had for a decade before, I would always revisit my home-brew campaign world.

Except I knew things were going to change.  I didn't expect how much.

This was to be my last D&D/F20 game.  Third edition was right around the corner, and that was a direction I did not want to take.   Whenever the next campaign was going to occur, it would (a) have a new map, plugging in my countries into Epic of Aerth map for Dangerous Journeys, and (b) it would be run in more narrative style using Masterbook.

Yes, Masterbook, the West End Games version of TORG without all the cool stuff mixed up. 

For someone who was graduating college in a few weeks, I wasn't thinking properly.

Please stop laughing at me.

 

I figured a step away from the hack-n-slash I ran so well, into a story-based game, using cardboard/paper minis was the way to go.  Sort of like how Savage Worlds is run nowadays.

So with that, I would give everyone a portion of what they wanted with the post-finale wrap-up, plus the possibility that (a) everything their characters went through could still be true, from a certain point of view, and (b) Talis Makolin, or at least a different version of Talis Makolin, did not die.

And with an epic finish and a back-handed compliment to the players, we finished the campaign.

I never did play Masterbook.  By the time my real-life got settled for a weekly campaign, it was a year and a half later.... and Hackmaster had just entered my life, hence The Journey of Mutumbo

Seventeen years later, I would go back to Hackmaster 4th Edition in a heartbeat.

Next week, will be the penultimate episode, an bit of an encyclopedic "Where are they now?" post, covering PCs/NPCs/Whole countries over the next 10-40 years of campaign time (Journey of Mutumbo starts just about 60 years in the future).  I'm quite certain only the few ardent readers of the Pigeon God, or certain former players, will find it incredibly interesting.

Next:  #75 A "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment