Sunday, August 4, 2019

#RPGaDay2019 Day 4: Sharing the World of Georic

Day 4 of #RPGaDay2019 and today's lone word of inspiration is "Share."

My biggest share in RPGs, besides loaning out a rulebook from time to time, is openly sharing my World of Georic campaign setting.

Back in high school, my friend George and I tried to codify the setting our group was playing in, and with a lot of paper, markers, and crayons, George+Eric=Georic.

This has been my base world for F20 gaming for 30 years.  Sure the Temple of Elemental Evil isn't that far from Shadowdale, as evident in my Lost Dispatches of Feraso write-ups, but I've always developed and expanded the world beyond those original modules.

Twenty years ago, while in college, my dorm roommate TOWN (The Other White Nate), took over the overflow players from my Saturday session and started his own Friday group, using my notes for the Kingdom of Emron.

The Original White Nate (who we call Balls) took over a portion after college with some hillariously disastrous results.

But it has been Hoyce, famed for Zorin Redrock in the Burning Trogs Rule!, Talis Makolin in Ballad of the Pigeon God, and Dr Eric Bowsfield in my Cthulhu game, who took the basics of the campaign world (third, or even fourth-hand I believe) put his own take on things and carved out a successful corner of his "Goric" world for almost two decades of gaming.

Follow me here, it's a little loopy for me.

The Great White Wizard Dillman, a creation of TOWN's and perpetuated by Hoyce.  Originially, the dude was based on the our college president and grew from there.
When I retrofitted the campaign to fit the fantasy Epic of Aerth, my Emron assumed the territory of Italy and the Balkans, with heavy politics and magistocracies reigning supreme for Hackmaster.  The princes (and princesses) were fleshed out, geo-politics expanded, with new threats, orcish and Atlantean.

For Hoyce, the last two decades have allowed him to tweak Emron into completely opposite directions, filling in the blank canvas all around.  After years of gameplay, it's now called the Kingdom of Emeron, an Anglicized version of the original concept, but still as awesome as ever.

He's been writing up his current campaign on his blog, Hoyce's Gaming. I'm not a fan of Wordpress and at the time of this writing there are over sixty entries, so I've taken up my rights as the initial shadow concept from long long ago, and collected (and linked) the stories to a page on this blog, Emeron Unleashed.

Obviously things aren't going to jive with some of the stories, but as I would back in the college days, by Viscount Decree, everything in Hoyce's Emeron campaign will affect the Emron in my Georic, only 100 years later than the dates on the post (1259 is perfect for the setting... I might be able to make the Great Chasm a  reality with 115 years since the last campaign.

So by all means, check out Hoyce's blog, read to your heart's content, and see how much Hoyce, and his players, love that game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment