Sunday, August 18, 2019

#RPGaDay2019 Day 18: Let Me Tell You About My Dice....

Day 18 of #RPGaDay2019 grants us the word "PLENTY."

While there's no such thing as enough, I certainly have plenty of dice.

After 25 years, the lid to the wooden cigar box finally broke this year.
I've owned a lot more dice over the years.  Jugs, buckets, maybe even troughs of dice.  I've even made money off of rare/expensive dice, but this cigar box contains most of my role-playing dice.  The wargaming dice are downstairs in the Kriget Rum, although a few stragglers will make an appearance.

First off, I don't think I've purchased a complete set of regular polyhedrals in at least 15 years.  Maybe a brick or two of d6's, but outside of a Chessex camo set circa 1999, I don't think I've snagged a traditional set for own personal use (The girls have gotten dice that I've purchased, but they're not in this collection.)

The last non-traditional set was a red metal set from Dice Dungeons at a Mepacon two or three years ago.  They're weighted properly and roll pretty decently, so I give them a thumbs up.
Funny story, as I looked for the post about the next dice, I got an odd sense of deja vu....

The pic I just took of the "first" dice I ever bought at a convention:

Some direction dice (Manufacturer unknown) and one of the pre-Kickstarter Pizza Dice from Flying Buffalo. I do have a pack of all the snazzy dice from the Kickstarter, but their packed away with the wargaming dice.
 Knights of the Dinner Table Dice
 Koplow Custom Dice for Pennsylvania, Moose, and Turtles, naturally.  Don't know the manufacturer for the beer mug.
Giant OGRE dice from one of the recent Kickstarter, haven't worked their way down to the Wargaming dice yet.
The bottom two d6's came from a card-based wargame I picked up at Historicon well over a decade ago..  No stands of figures, just cards with stats that you moved around with a provided paper ruler.  The game fell into obscurity, but he d6's it came with are great for fantasy RPGs.

The top die came with the Battletech CCG.  I've kept a group of these separate as they have historically rolled 5's and 6's more than any other result. 
Roman Numeral dice (top), another wanderer from the wargaming collection.  I use these for initiative, hits, and morale for a number of game.  And a few plus/minus (not FUDGE) dice.

The survivors of one of my early sets of fancy dice. These are sterling silver and as heavy as anything chucked across a table.

The all-powerful Zocchihedron (100-sided dice - Gamescience), with an oversized d20 (Chessex) in comparison
 Ten Commandments Die and a Hit Location Die (both Koplow)
The lone survivor of a "make your own dice set."  This one is a mixture of pips and weather.
 An old set of Dwarven Stone Yellow Jade dice.
Compass Dice (Koplow) and an infamous "Cheater" d20 with a 20 where the 1 should be (Chessex)
 A Gamescience d16
 Some tiny metal d10s, and some brass tiny polyhedrals
 The three surviving TWERPS d10/d20s and a few tiny glass polyhedrals.

No comments:

Post a Comment