Sunday, August 11, 2019

#RPGaDay2019 Day 11: Games I Wish I Could Have Played In

The second part of the tough weekend questions from #RPGaDay2019 brought out "Examine" for Day 11.  What great in-depth naval gazing would I have to do?

Again, I implored my Legion of Gamers for some advice and their suggestions were combined for today's topic, "Games I Wish I Played In."

Sure, I was the appointed Games Guru by local gamers in the know.  Yes, I went to conventions and developed a network of friends who were gamers.  I could get into any game that I wanted, but I never did.

Trust me on this, some of those answers "No thanks" were purely survival.  I largely disagree with the old adage, "No gaming is better than bad gaming," but some of the options I was offered were simply horrendous.

But then there were those games you either couldn't get into, or couldn't change your schedule, or even work up the nerve to ask for a chance at a seat.  Three of these come to mind.

TORG:  If you had the fortune of wandering around GenCon in the 90's, you might have run into the "TORG Guys."  Russ and Todd originally ran a fabulous convention game at the local cons full of a multi-media display that ensured the game sold out during pre-registration.  They then expanded towards GenCon and became an even bigger hit.  The duo broke up their game to pursue other things, but I did have the opportunity to learn TORG with a few others at Todd's house, and we were offered seats at his regular home campaign.  Now, TORG is great as a one-off convention game, but the concept of the multiple realms on Earth really takes on on long term play.

Alas, I never took him up on the offer.  Car, work, school, something prevented me from instantly saying yes.  Or perhaps it was the intimidation of being the new guy with the least knowledge of the system.

Delta Green:  Back when Pagan Publishing was only known for The Unspeakable Oath, they just happened to release this little campaign sourcebook called Delta Green, and Dr Bob ran it.

Nowadays I consider Dr Bob a good friend, but back then he was the weird grad student dude at Tuesday Night Magic at our mutual friend Larry's house.  His Delta Green game, from second-hand reports from the survivors, I mean players, was always phenomenal.  However, I remember the apartment they played in was pretty tight with the players they had, so I didn't even nudge him for a

Star Wars: But the biggest game I regret not even asking about playing in was a Star Wars d6 game.  It was run by the "Other Eric" who worked at the Philipsburg Mall (or was I the other Eric? The world may never know.)  The core of the group was filled with his metal heads and other friends, but Eric expanded the group to include of the best players in the Lehigh Valley, including Todd (of TORG fame) and Dr Bob (of Delta Green). 

With a huge, oversized group, and a tramp freighter (The Blitz) decked out in pink and chrome, madcap zaniness was sure to ensue.   I've lost track of the characters but it involved, an ex-stormtrooper, a protocol droid with a death bot hidden personality, a Wookie with career path into the adult holo-vid industry, and a Jawa that made other Jawas go "Utinni! Ukuthi jawa uya'lan'ya!"

It also had Big Bob Watts, from Mutant Chronicles and the Doomtrooper CCG:
And Zorak from Space Ghost:

The game was huge, the stories legendary, but between obligations and not wanting to rock the boat, I did not inquire about even a guest appearance. 

After saying all of that, I actually had an ex-girlfriend who not only became one of guys with this  extended group of gamer friends, but also had zero hesitation asking/barging into the game with her eternal character, Cherise.  If I had a chance to jump on, it was on her coat tails, and I blew it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment