Sunday, November 17, 2019

Mandatory Basketball Rant - Week 2

It's been a week of dealing with coaches scrambling for more practice time, and most find it completely unacceptable that the few time slots I have available are either 5-6pm or 8-9pm. 

Work crushed my enthusiasm for anything this week.  I literally walked away from my computer for my Monday night D&D game with 15 minutes left in the session, simply due to exhaustion... and the week went downhill from here.

I was so rattled by work-related problems, and absolute idiots on the commute home, that by the time I got to practice, I completely forgot to lower the basket for the girls.  Rebounding and dribbling drills went well, but I've got three girls who simply can not grok the concept of a zone defense.  It's worked for the one girl, who simply wandered away from her girl to get to the ball while playing man-to-man.  My wife took the kids to their basketball practices in the West Hazleton league, and sat in the driveway, completely dejected.
To offset that, I also got an email from the mom of our brand new player, thanking me for the time, the patience, and the enthusiasm towards her daughter. 

With no game this week for the community league, all attention was pointed towards the last week of the Fall ball league before the playoffs.  Maja and Millie finally got a chance to play their friend Ary (she missed the last match-up and my girls slaughtered that team). 

This time, it was Ary vs Maja with everyone else watching.  With the girls down 16-14, Ary had 12 of the 16,  Maja 5 of 14 and Millie 3 of 14.  With six seconds left, Millie stripped the ball, streaked down the sideline, and placed a beautiful bounce pass to Maja for the game-tying shot.  Maja added a quick bucket five seconds into overtime, but the other team pulled ahead to win 20-18. 

If I can get the girls to rebound better, and Millie can drive to the basket and draw a number of fouls, week 3 might be a better report.  

1 comment:

  1. The e-mail for the mom is a nice touch. I hope things improve as the season progresses and you get more of those moments.

    ReplyDelete