Sunday, May 16, 2021

Learning How to Paint - Nostalgia

Recently, I've been trying to expand my podcast catalog.  One that I'm still on the fence on is Trapped Under Plastic, a painting pocast on two guys who focus on GW models, but a variety of techniques.  The episodes are waaay too long (80-90 minutes), and the content can be broken down into thirds (1) douche-y rambling (2) mindless meandering (3) really solid content.  

Guys, keep your topic focused and cut your time in half, and I'd put this above Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff on my podcast listening pyramid.

Season 2 Episode 16 (see below for their Youtube channel), they discuss painting resources that *gasp* are not on Youtube.  While not exhaustive, it was a great list for the casual or mid-range hobbyist, I heartily recommend the episode, even including a well-deserved rant on B&H 

That got me thinking about my influence for painting.  Honestly, it's not a very long list. 

The biggest influence to improve my painting has been the "Gnome King" himself, Jim Stanton.  I don't always do every step of his "How to Paint a 2-Footer" class from HMGS cons, but when I do, the figures come out great.  For someone who is a great painter (and has friends who are even more phenomenal), the focus on the three-foot is an efficient process to make figures visually appealing on the tabletop (from at least, you guessed it, two foot away).   

My original painting guide appears to be lost in history.  I can't find anything on the internet that resembles what's stuck in my brain.  I believe I picked up a simple four-page Ral-Partha brochure for free from Hobby Hangout in the early 90's.  It may or may not have used a Battlemech to keep it simpler, but the process only included four steps.

1. Base Coat
2. Wash (Diluted Black was recommended until one became "proficient" in it.)
3. Drybrush (Definitely stressing an older used brush.
4. Detail

About as basic as one can get with some cheap brushes and a few jars of Ral-Partha paints, it was the perfect guide for me to complete my Rifleman, Blackjack, and Charger in Skye Ranger colors.  

The free Ral Partha brochure was far less detailed than this one.

I'm disappointed that my introduction to painting may have suffered the Mandela Effect.  It wasn't the painted mechs inside the Battletech Compendium, it wasn't any oversimplified 'Eavy Metal pages.  Perhaps it was an insert from the Battlesystem boxed set?  We may never know.


No comments:

Post a Comment