Thursday, December 8, 2022

(Review) D&D Of Ships and the Sea Dungeon Master's Screen by Gale Force Nine

 As I'm exploring the surroundings around my new apartment, I can to the realization that Dragon Knight Games is less than five minutes from my house, while waiting for the Junior High League to kick off at the local Vo-Tech, I swung in to peruse the stock, and in light of selling off most of my Magic cards, eschewed CCGs for a different random purchase: Gale Force Nine's D&D Of Ships and the Sea Dungeon Master's Screen

I expected a DM screen to specifically focus on the Ghosts of Saltmarsh hardcover, some neat reference charts, a combat tracker, and some useful items.  

What I got was a sturdy, glossy, four-panel screen made out of THICK carboard.  The player facing artwork is phenomenal and comes from the book.   The DM section covers three items,  Random Ships, Random Encounters by level, and Hazards, which I believe are in the main book or elsewhere.  

I simply can't imagine spending $15 on this for the artwork, when a more serviceable screen is available.

Now, major review caveat: The DM Screen has largely been a superfluous item for D&D since the launch of 3rd Edition over 20 years ago.  There's not a large need for cross-referencing charts like in the early days, but for a themed item, I expect more than three charts I only occasionally need to reference 

Gale Force Nine's Of Ship and Sea DM Screen is complete vanity item, only meant to scratch the itch for a D&D completist, or a super-fan of the Saltmarsh adventures for 5e.    On the Gaming with the Gnomies  Five-Gnome scale, this item earns the lowest grade possible, 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment