Thursday, October 1, 2026

My Gaming Plans for 2026-27

Another year, another 20% of plans actually achieving. 

To be honest, I hit six out of seven (83%) of the core goals last year, with close to zero success from the pie-in-the-sky projects. 

Keeping it real, like last year, I need to recognize two big things: 

  • The era is ending.....  Maja driving has given her freedom, and has resulted in less time both girls have with dear old dad.   And to make matters worse, the whole boyfriend thing is a whole lot more serious than the last foray, and I foresee her coming down for Historicon only (He is a gamer, so there is a chance...)  Millie can still get excited from games, but she's definitely an engaged casual player.
  • Enjoy what everyone enjoys:  Essentially copying word-for-word from last year.  I enjoy all the community projects and there are certain things I'll do, even if no one else ever reads them, it's foolish.  The biggest posts of the year for me are (1) convention AARs, (2) game store reviews, (3) Pulp Game AARs, and (4) my painting.  I'm not monetizing the blog, but engagement matters, both practically, and selfishly.

With my "Mission Statement" out of the way, let's get into my plans, from immediate projects to fewer pipe dreams.

  1.  The last guaranteed Historicon with Maja - Maja will have graduated high school, weeks away from attending college, probably somewhere in New York State.  Although she'll try, Historicon 2027 might be the last be hurrah for Maja... or maybe not.  She's basically independent of us outside of Next Gen activities, so like this past year, I'm going to enjoy it.
  2. Death Planet Iota Ongoing -  My Fistful of Lead sci-fi campaign using anything and everything I can get my hands on.  This includes painting up anymore figures, vehicles, and scenery. 
  3. Mousling Fantasy, Take Three - Still tinkering, using the mouslings, fantasy figures in general.   System still seems to elude me.  
  4. Pulp! - I'd like to finish Tomb of the Serpent with the girls, or just solo.  
  5. Gamma World Alternatives -What started as joke that worried all my players, we do need an alternative or low attendance friendly game for Monday nights.  Something like Nations and Cannons are great, but with a group of history freaks, that might required more an GMing output than I'm ready for.   
  6. Painting - Yet another reorganization of the queue, and restock, replenish, and retool my paint shelves for colors I need to replace.   Gotta find a project after all the Death Planet Iota gets finished. 

And the pipe dreams:

    7.  Toon - "Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos"  After years of running the "Cthulhu Comes to Springfield" Toon game, and dusting it off for Mepacon 50, I had been tempted to run a Simpsons game of "episodes" that fit the con's alien theme, but withdrew.  It might still be a thing for Mepacon 52 in April.

    8.  What's next for Gnome Wars?  Of course there will be Gnome Wars games at HMGS cons, but I wonder if it's not high time for Gnome Wars 3.0, with expanded campaign data straight from this blog.

    9.  Local Next Gen: With the girls leaving school soon, it might be a good time to get a Next Gen grant and set up a Viking, or AWI, or something better for Next Gen sessions at local libraries.


No comments:

Post a Comment