Friday, October 2, 2026

(Painting) Outrigger Canoes by Diabolical Terrain

 I did complete my first unit Hawaiian Gnomes (The Polygnomials) less than a year ago.  They have proven to be a fun nationality, and most of the rules tweaks involve some procedural options with the Spearmen and the making the Pineapple Catapult somewhere that's not useless but not terrorizing the board.  

As we figured out early at Historicon, the Hawaiians needed to accessorize, and I found two items that work well, adding some lore to Hawaiian lore.

First off, the most obvious choice, outrigger canoes from Diabolical Terrain.  Your might want to try the larger 30mm scale, but with the 25mm canoes, your definitely need five of them to traverse the sea and conquer the surrounding islands.  

EC3D-DY: Dugout Outrigger

During the summer closeouts at the Dollar Tree, I picked up some "Candy Holders," clear red plastic in the shape of pineapples.  In my two lines of thinking, I painted half up as giant pineapples, and the other four as carved pineapple rocks, perfect for a fire inside the crown.  

The final item to complete the Hawaiian "base?"   A small ziggurat structure, perhaps one level, that would be perfect for a the pineapple sculptures and perhaps an appropriate altar? I will have time to scour the dealer's hall and flea market sessions this year. 

Next Up:  I do have a massive project with sixty (60!) figures that I'm already in the midst of, for Fall-In!  I might have even more, but the first sixty should be enough.  After that, there's nothing specific on the painting bench, so I might wander between Gnomish Space Marine stuff, and more of the 3-D fantasy stuff I picked up at Historicon.

Project 350:  We just mentioned this yesterday, but we're at  470 (313/157) from 471 (313/158).  October is NOT as pre-packed full of posts as prior years, so I don't see perhaps a handful of games plus working on the placeholders for the #CharacterCreationChallenge in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment