Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Lost Dispatches of Feraso #71 - The New Hometown

35th of Hexdec, 1147 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
Another beautiful day, another long walk to investigate my new home.  Without the burdens of real travel, and only a cloak, rations, and a sword across my back in case of travel, I haven't felt this good in years!

To recap my wanderings thus far:
West is the Hydincall Road to Hydincall, Omsjik, and Lake Apotheosis.  A few Freigruppen homesteads, although most are in some state of disrepair.   Most are raising livestock of some sort, they appear to be the only source of income to the communal farmers in town.  The woods separating each farm are quick thick, and dotted with strange shacks and outbuildings.  I believe most of the farmers don't know many of these structures are even on their land, but even stranger, I don't believe they are being used for any nefarious purpose.

On the South Farm Road to the east is the row of manor houses, quite elaborate dreams of people with similar dreams to mine, and much more coin to flaunt.  At some point, a group of rich merchants, petty nobles, or perhaps burned out adventurers constructed these solid structures far away from the political game of Hydincall, and most found the sheer boredom of the village a fate worse than torture. 

Beyond the manor houses (and the neverending fields of wheat and barley across the road) are the halfling dales: Lowdale, Welldale, and Elmshire.  Each community is independent of Lord Athlestane and each other, although the Mayor of each has struck an agreement with the others for mutual defense, and although Athelstane collects no rent or taxes from the halflings, simple militia patrols of the road have been met with appreciation and friendliness.

I've only reached the closest dale, Lowdale, and back within a day's walk.  I can safely say that it is the cutest miniature model of Eding I've ever seen.

South is a series of fields, then woods, then marshland.  Old timers keep mentioning lizardmen in the swamp, but I've only managed to encounter the foundations of some very old ruins.   Someone, many years ago, tried to establish a community south of town, and the swamp had its way with him.

Today, I tackled the looming spectre over the village to the north: The Nightwood Forest. A huge primordial forest just across the river. it remains unharvested for fear of the inhabitants inside.  Trolls, Bullettes, and most importantly the feared Goblin City of G'ba.

But of course, what's holding back the goblin hordes of G'ba isn't the might Eding militia (of which I am now a sergeant-in-arms in... after seven days.)   No sir, the protector of the Village of Eding... is a witch!

Just up the "North Road" from the public meeting area where the Blue Wizard is, past the trading post, the shrine to Guya, the blacksmith, and the land for the future home of a Temple of Akana, lays a lazy ford in the Hydincall River.  Immediately upon crossing, the path takes a steep turn to the right and evens out just in front of the witch's shack.

It's a pitiful building, a bit bigger than a peasant hovel, but in a woeful state of disrepair.  I don't believe in the full hubub about some crazed woman full of rage and eldritch magicks, but I gave the structure a wide berth.

The origin of the Nightwood's name is as subtle as a sack going over your head during a kidnapping.  The forest canopy is so thick, I pondered lighting a torch to help me navigate the paths, but I quickly thought otherwise.  I saw no goblins, but even my limited tracking skills I picked up over the years could detect heavy activity along the riverside, with perfect views of village and the Hydincall road.

I spotted some small game, but the I was lucky that all I could stumble upon were three trolls.
They were chubbier than the stories, much furrier, and never have I heard of three of them together at one place.  I snuck away as fast as possible and headed back to the village.  Enough adventure for one day.

Upon my inquiries Angus the barkeep told me that the trolls were actually anti-trolls.  His name for them and subsequent babbling made no sense, but I assume they might actually like sunlight and might not be overtly sensitive to acid or fire.

DM Notes:  Elsderth is settling into his new hometown quite nicely.  Day trips are much nicer than continental excursions from a middle-aged man running from his past(s).

Some map scribblings from Elsderth's journal.  Definitely further than his walks.



No comments:

Post a Comment