Saturday, January 9, 2021

Operation: Checkmate

The concept of teaching Maja chess has gone far better than I can ever imagine. Her requests to play are always at the wrong time, but like Uno, these are quick games. Maja hasn't beat me yet, but she has caught me embarrassingly unawares (Losing my Queen on turn 4? Ridiculous!)  Her enthusiasm has been infectious and in a world where dear old Dad isn't sharing the passion with her new-found interests in Harry Potter and Anime, chess is that little bit of bonding time we still need.

Still unsure if I'm permanently tracking Chess games under my games played system. I normally avoid mass-produced and traditional games, my line in the sand is usually Uno or Apples to Apples, not Life or Sorry. If I do track it, I'll follow my logic I did for Magic back in the day: All games at one location (home, store, convention) for the day constitutes playing once, however, each tournament played in would constitute a separate "play." Since Maja hasn't gotten around to taking the chess board with her wherever she goes, and we're nowhere near tournaments, that's not an issue yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment